Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok I am not very good at computer stuff so if I posted in the wrong place I am sorry. So I have a little story and I will try to be brief. I did a 2.2 swap a few years ago in a 1996 outback and it worked great! I just picked up a super clean 1999 out back that is super clean and an aniversary edition with a 2.5 which of course has a blown head gasket! I also picked up a older legacy wagon parts car with a 2.2 and a manual transmission. I am planning on putting the 2.2 from my 1996 in the 1999 which I know will work. My question is if I remember corectly to do a swap it needs to be out of a car with auto tranny for the EGR, so I want to rebuild the one out of the car with the manual tranny and eventually put it in the 1999. Are the blocks the same? Can I rebuild the engine and take my intake off of the one I am running now for the EGR. Thank you

On 6/25/2021 at 7:28 PM, Bob Nieuwsma said:

Ok I am not very good at computer stuff so if I posted in the wrong place I am sorry. So I have a little story and I will try to be brief. I did a 2.2 swap a few years ago in a 1996 outback and it worked great! I just picked up a super clean 1999 out back that is super clean and an aniversary edition with a 2.5 which of course has a blown head gasket! I also picked up a older legacy wagon parts car with a 2.2 and a manual transmission. I am planning on putting the 2.2 from my 1996 in the 1999 which I know will work. My question is if I remember corectly to do a swap it needs to be out of a car with auto tranny for the EGR, so I want to rebuild the one out of the car with the manual tranny and eventually put it in the 1999. Are the blocks the same? Can I rebuild the engine and take my intake off of the one I am running now for the EGR. Thank you

You can install the engine without EGR, it doesn’t matter, it runs and drives fine but has a check engine light.

if you want the check engine light out, run an EGR vacuum line to an alternate source and you won’t get a check engine light.

Or install EGR as GD said via drilling or swapping intake/drivers side head from an EJ22 with EGR.  

10 hours ago, idosubaru said:

You can install the engine without EGR, it doesn’t matter, it runs and drives fine but has a check engine light.

if you want the check engine light out, run an EGR vacuum line to an alternate source and you won’t get a check engine light.

Or install EGR as GD said via drilling or swapping intake/drivers side head from an EJ22 with EGR.  

Doesn't work. The ECU looks for a corresponding change in sensor inputs (probably a drop in MAF voltage) to verify the EGR is functioning. You can't just hookup a solenoid - you need a solenoid that drives an EGR valve through a proportioning valve and that creates a vacuum leak of the proper size. You *can* pull atmospheric air from the IAC hose into the EGR pipe and avoid doing the drilling of the exhaust port on the head but it's not completely ideal as it will result in a minor positive fuel trim condition when the ECU has to add fuel for the additional oxygen being introduced but not metered by the MAF (true EGR is inert so has no effect on AFR). 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1