Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Impreza Ball Joint Housing Stuck in Knuckle!

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Hatchback. Am I doing this right? I feel like the inner portion of the ball joint is coming out but the outer portion is staying in the knuckle. I have spent half an hour banging on the control arm with a metal rod and sludge hammer and this is how far I've gotten. Reference this picture. Part 1 is separating from part 2 but I think that part 2 is supposed to come out of the knuckle and not just part 1. If I continue banging it will eventually remove the ball joint but keep this outer metal part inside of the knuckle. I'm having a horrible day. The pinch bolt already snapped off and I spent 3 hour welding nuts to remove it. I wanna pull my hair out so badly! Any advice would be appreciated!

It's a unit.  Rust has it locked in.  Soak it with PB blaster or something like it.  

I've had good luck putting a pipe wrench on the ball joint and spinning it inside the knuckle to break down the rust.

Step is the gas tourch to heat the knuckle up.

• Like 1

If you’re in a rust prone area these are beastly.

I’ve had the ball pull completely out of the socket before and then it takes hours to chisel away the fused rusty socket shell out of the knuckle.  I use chisels and drill/drill bits to get all those chunks out. 

I can’t tell if yours is that bad - it’s not very common for them to be that bad, so I wouldn’t think it is.  but if it is no tricks you read on the internet will get it out except heat and work and sweat. Soaking won’t get to the inner fuse welded shell and the “tools” suggested online will just break. I’ve broke a few of those said ball joint tools   They’re a joke on really bad ones. Metal shears thread strips, etc  

Where your arrow is pointing for #2 is a ridge where the ball joint sits flush. I’ve had really good luck on bad ones by pounding the living day lights out of that ridge with a cold chisel snd heavy mini sledge.  

The idea is to get the chisel in between the ball joint lip and knucle. once you get any tiny gap at all - which looks like it may be starting somewhat - start trying to get any angle you can DOWN on the ball joint.  

it’s a horrific process of many hits and misses before it’ll start to gap and walk downwards

I would guess yours isn’t as bad as the worst ones I’ve seen so keep at it and you’ll likely get it.