Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was looking and pondering today....

How to install a VF22, and take care of all the clearance issues for the intake...and what to do about exhaust....well Id want a high flow header and custom turob back thats 3 inches...that turbo wont fit in the stock location and use such an exhaust.

Well, lets do this. It will work great. there is plenty of room in that space for that stuff.

newideaEA82T.jpg

Lets tilt the turbo. Less bends for the exhaust to flow in...more power. Less bends for the exh to flow out. More power. Less bends for the air flowing INTO the turbo. more power. I ahve not toally worked out the turbo compressor outlet stuff yet....but, I imagine that it woudl be no problem.

Ideas, rants, comments?

Hey WJM

You might want to look for some mounting specs, most turbos are designed to have the oil inlet and outlet vertical. I'm sure there is an acceptable deviation (after all cars go up and down hills), but major angles might cause drainage issues and lead to BIG trouble.

Gary

Better take a look in garner's photo album, he's got something you might be interested in! :brow: I took a look at it the other day and it looks like it's a very well made peice:

uppipe2.jpg

Of course this doesnt address a high flow header, but it looks like a really nice interim solution to using one of the larger turbos.

Yes, my "up a little further pipe". It made the install of the TD04 and WRX TMIC work pretty well. I'll take some under the hood photos soon to show how everything lines up.

This is an interim sollution until I can get to building a better header. I plan to do the crossover and up-pipe seperate like the wrx set up

I believe the turbo is set about 15 degrees back. It leaks a little oil but I can't say its the angle or the condition of the second hand turbo? Not too bad eitherway

garner

if anyone has a copy of 'maximum boost', theres a section in there that addresses what angle the oil lines should be at. i would quote it, but i dont have it at home right now. :banghead:

Yes, this would be interesting information for me and others. Anyone have a copy of Maximum Boobs, er uhh, Boost I mean...

garner