Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Geeze, Wondrin what to do.. Rad issues

I noticed that the upper hose, rad outlet... where the hose mounts to radiator  is a little compromised.

There is supposed to be that little ridge(can think of it sorta like a ferrule) that is on the edge of the mounting nipple which is there to keep a tightened hose from sliding off..

You get my picture, you kno what I am talking about.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81vZI%2B9X2eL._SL1500_.jpg

link to,, just be for reference showing what a healthy outlet or inlet to radiator looks like.

Mine has somehow disappeared.  has broken off.

I am wondering what is the plastic that these radiators are made out of?     does anybody know?   I am guesing  ABS plastic?(just Cuz it is black)

What I am thinking is that maybe I can use some glue to create a new ridge.  for peace of mind.

(cuz I have the hose on there now... it is not leaking...  just need to Mod this problem... so not to buy another radiator because of this problem...

this radiator is in excellent shape...

thanks, MIcky

make sure the hose is all the way on, and clamped properly. if it isnt leaking, leave it alone.

and just because it is black means absolutely nothing. I have ABS materials for 3d printing in all colors of the rainbow, including black... Lego is ABS plastic.
I also have other materials in many colors, including black - so the color means nothing.

doing a google search says the plastic parts on a radiator are high temp nylon

9 hours ago, mickytrus said:

this radiator is in excellent shape...

No, it's not. Research shows a 50% molecular degradation after 100,000 miles in radiator plastics.  Replace or leave it be, but I wouldn't try "building it up" or repairing it.

What you saw is very common, the outlets do this all the time.  I've never worked at a shop and still seen it a bunch of times.

• Like 2

That’s your indicator to replace the radiator with another unit - go for quality or replace more frequently. 

Or leave the radiator and do your repair. That end tank WILL fail and it will kill your engine as a result. Been there done that. For me it happened at the worst possible time/place. We were 600km from home. HGs were shot when we replaced the radiator. 

Your call. I’m with GD and Ido on this one, I highly recommend you get a new radiator. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yeah,

You go through all the trouble,  get the car so you can drive it on a long trip and bite tooth and nail.

Cuz the radiator is fck'd....(plastics become britte no matter what)..& and will keep breakin.. 

Yeah, The reason I did this clutch was the last ride was too suspenseful. (road trip to "God's Country")

Hoping I got the momentum to get up a hill

Tires are not slipping in the sno... but, the clutch is slippin on the hill (go figure)

What are recommended brands to replace it with?

Thanks, Micky

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, mickytrus said:

Thanks!...

It went ok.....   

Just, Okay? That sounds ominous...I just bought a stock Denso radiator for my '03, not from the dealer though, on ebay. It cost me about what a generic brand costs at the big parts stores ~$120.  Just did the same for my '95. They are typically the o.e.m. manufacturer for Japanese car brands. The trick is to be sure what you're buying is genuine. I typically only buy stuff like that from sellers with 99% or higher feedback just to be safe...and also make sure they specify the brand in the sale, so I can get my money back if they try to switch it on me.

Edited by laegion