Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help fixing this hole on the bed of my brat

Hi, I need help / advice fixing this hole on my brat. My Brat was parked facing downhill for several years(By pre-owner of course, I will never do that!). Well now there is a huge hole on the bed, and I need help fixing it. I would like to fix this hole before it gets any bigger. Here are the pictures.

Thanks

Dan

3947DSCN0074-med.JPG

3947i_need_this_piece-med.jpg

get a bedliner, or a diamondplate piece to put in there. youd have to cut about twice what you oultined, if its like any rust i have seen. get to grinding, and you;ll see alot more effected metal than you think.

Dan,

I'm assuming this is some sort of resto project...

The best looking & longest lasting repair would be to fabricate a patch, using metal with the same rib pattern. You will have to cut a rust-free piece from a junk Brat bed, and trim/modify it to fit that area. It does not necessarily have to be from the exact same spot, but the ribs have to follow the pattern in your bed perfectly.

It will be tricky because it's on the edge of the bed. You'll have to pound out some of the ribs to follow the straight surfaces, and have to do some bending to get around the edge. The ribs on the patch will have to align tightly to those on your truck, so expect to do plenty of "tweaking".

If it were mine, I would treat the existing metal as best I could, then weld the patch directly over the old. Cutting out the old is too risky IMO. You'll lose structural integrity, and the patch will look no better for your effort.

There are other less sophisticated ways to patch something like this, and if that's what you're after, I (and others I'm sure) will be happy to comment on those methods.

good luck, John

Thanks so much for your comments. What I was thinking, cut the dangling metal pieces out, the treat the rusted metal with por 15, from on top and bottom of the bed. Then dent in slightly the part around the hole, and cut out piece of metal to just cover the hole. Either weld it or rivet it. When the new metal piece is leveled with other part of the bed, find wrecked brat from PAP, or hopefully board member will provide me:lol: cut out big piece, like the part I circled in the picture, then either weld it or rivet it. Also weld another metal piece from bottom of the bed.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks so much for your comments. What I was thinking, cut the dangling metal pieces out, the treat the rusted metal with por 15, from on top and bottom of the bed. Then dent in slightly the part around the hole, and cut out piece of metal to just cover the hole. Either weld it or rivet it. When the new metal piece is leveled with other part of the bed, find wrecked brat from PAP, or hopefully board member will provide me:lol: cut out big piece, like the part I circled in the picture, then either weld it or rivet it. Also weld another metal piece from bottom of the bed.

Thanks

Dan

Dan:

Sounds like you are on the right track.

There are many ways to make this type of repair, but the essentials are the same. Visual appearance is where you have to make some decisions.

Just make sure all the rusted surfaces are prepped, and each layer of metal is completely sealed. The smallest pocket will start you chasing rust all over again.

Good Luck, John

Call Whitey's Wrecking in Spokane. (509) 489-3850

They have a brat in their yard though it's been a while since i've seen it. I don't know what their policy is on chopping out sections like that, but I'd hope for you that your fix will look as good as possible, and original Brat metal is probably the best way to go. You might ask Jerry (bratsrus) about the welding for it; he lives in Yakima and is a whiz. good luck!

Man, am I glad I live in California. My 87 brat that I picked up in Feb is almost totally rust free.:banana: The only problem area I have is in the front area behind the headlights. Fender bender by two owners ago. Spent some $$ to get the frame pulled straight and PAP fenders and hood, and just got it back from the paint shop. Gotta get pictures on here soon, but the guy told me a shouldnt wash it for two weeks, so next week, I'll take some pice to post. Good luck with the bed restoration! Keith

One thing about the repair if you are planning to do a complete restoration. The BRAT's had that area carpeted so regardless of how it looks, you can just cover it with a carpet. :banana:

I would just use a piece of sheet metal there. No need to chop up another BRAT. Heck, maybe you can chop up another pickup. :wink:

BW

Man, am I glad I live in California. My 87 brat that I picked up in Feb is almost totally rust free.:banana: The only problem area I have is in the front area behind the headlights. Fender bender by two owners ago. Spent some $$ to get the frame pulled straight and PAP fenders and hood, and just got it back from the paint shop. Gotta get pictures on here soon, but the guy told me a shouldnt wash it for two weeks, so next week, I'll take some pice to post. Good luck with the bed restoration! Keith

Keith:

I wouldn't be in any hurry to wash it. Even laquer needs time to cure. If it's enamel, I would wait 3 months min before doing anything with the paint. Think of it as a wound that never completely heals...take your time.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to deal with corrosion. One very big hassle you don't have to get sidetracked with. Enjoy your Brat for what it was intended for.

good luck, John

The part I need to fix is on the bed, so I can't put carpet on top of it. Although I could just put piece of metal to fix the hole because I'm planning to put jumpseats. And it will probably cover that hole whether the metal piece has same pattern as others or not.

One thing about the repair if you are planning to do a complete restoration. The BRAT's had that area carpeted so regardless of how it looks' date=' you can just cover it with a carpet. :banana:

I would just use a piece of sheet metal there. No need to chop up another BRAT. Heck, maybe you can chop up another pickup. :wink:

BW[/quote']So GD came up here today to pick up the Brat from Carfreak85 and I was going to be there so that he can take a look at my car, but I had to go to baseball game. I still haven't found someone who can provide me the piece of metal I need.

Well I'm almost convinced to start making after market panels myself.I joined this site in the hope of finding panels myself ,but it looks like everyone else is is the same boat.I am a sheetmetal engineer and can make the panels required to repair your deck.I am thinking very hard about going into production of taildoor skins and can even make full or half door skins as well.I have a thread on this page titled brat owners,have a look.Over the years I have made skins and panels for a wide range of vehicles.With the exchange rate you might surprised at the cost.If there is a good demand the more I make the cheaper It will be to manufacture these parts.

Hi, I need help / advice fixing this hole on my brat. My Brat was parked facing downhill for several years(By pre-owner of course, I will never do that!). Well now there is a huge hole on the bed, and I need help fixing it. I would like to fix this hole before it gets any bigger. Here are the pictures.

Thanks

Dan

3947DSCN0074-med.JPG

Keith:

I wouldn't be in any hurry to wash it. Even laquer needs time to cure. If it's enamel, I would wait 3 months min before doing anything with the paint. Think of it as a wound that never completely heals...take your time.

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to deal with corrosion. One very big hassle you don't have to get sidetracked with. Enjoy your Brat for what it was intended for.

good luck, John

If you use hardener with enamel, which I think every one does nowdays. 2 weeks is more than enough time for it to dry. Now if the guy used Rust-oleum, I'd give it 2 years. LOL

someone with bed panel please help me. I really need to fix this before I leave to Michigan. I'm thinking about getting a jumpseats but until I fix the hole I can't. Plus, the hole isn't the only problem right now. Everything is slowly falling apart.

Thanks

Dan

would you consider cutting out the bed and replace it with a huge section of diamond plate?

it's just a thought, it seems like a severe solution (it's a severe problem though) and there would be some dificulties, but I'm not sure how to handle that spot. I was lucky to have only a small hole in that area.

my dad and I have done what alot of people would call some pretty extensive rust repairs and restorations, I have pics of my brats restoration on my cardomain page, it would give you some tips on replacing things.

good luck, you have a long road ahead of you.

P.S. you have alot more to cut out of that bed than the circled area.

Surely there has to be a parts BRAT somewhere in Washington. I know of one here in NJ but you will pay an arm and leg for me to go to the yard and have them cut that out then to have it shipped. Yards here are not cheap by any means! Worse case scenario, let me know and I will see what I can do. Boz

Thanks

Dan

3947DSCN0074-med.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Brat, what was he thinking? I do not know if you have done the repair yet, but you did get some good feedback. Unfortuanetly rust and rot take our beloved Brats from us. I noticed in your pictures that your wheel wells are still in good shape. Alot of Brats start here in this vulnerable area. Do your self a favor and keep that area behind the rear shocks clean from mud, salt and road debris. There is a little pocket back there that should not be... Once clean and dry, undercoat the balls off it, on both sides. When those wheel wells blow out, there seems to be no stopping them. Also, the rocker panels hold water. Make sure the weep holes on the rockers, and door shells stay clean and work properly. You will see a little rubber flap that is supposed to let the water out. Getting back to your repair: These new body panel glues are being used by all the auto manufactures. Stop at your local autobody supply house and find out about them. You can glue and screw your patch down making it strong and watertight. Don't forget to address the bottom of the bed also..... Good Luck from aguy who hates rot rust!

Thanks

Dan

3947DSCN0074-med.JPG