Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So to start this off I am not really going to mention the tensioner brand ect as that's not the point of this writeup

I recently bought an 08 impreza hatch as a little project because I was bored knowing it had an engine knock. Now when I got it home and listened to the knock again closer it really diddnt seem like a bearing failure, so I checked the oil and filter and both were beautiful for used oil.

However I then checked the next cause of a knock, the tensioner and that is when I noticed something I haven't seen before, the tensioner (10k km) old had begun leaking and the snapring was half unseated from its groove. I am able to move the tensioner by hand for most of the stroke. Just curious if anyone has encountered this before and knows what caused it 

That's an aftermarket tensioner. Some junk from China or a Gates one from Canada (I see you live up there and I'm sorry Gates makes you fellas produce that horrible garbage).  

The ONLY tensioner you should be using is NTN.

And all the other parts are probably Chinese $hit as well. Replace all of it with proper Japanese parts - a complete Aisin kit is the easiest way to know you are getting good parts. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

Yes, I’ve seen it. I’ve seen the exact symptoms you had. Really old OEM tensioners will knock too but I’ve never seen an OEM fail. Aftermarket fail plenty even with low miles. Extraordinary since OEM are run for far more miles from new and have a much larger foot print for failure.

Some aftermarket tensioners/kits come with a bolt, I’ve seen those aftermarket bolts snap as well. They have inferior quality and manufacturing probably at multiple levels. Materials quality and sourcing, foundry, design, labor, QA, non ISO or equivalent (not that ISO is all its cracked up to be)….it’s almost pointless to wonder where that cheap train derails.

Get an OEM tensioner. We don’t say that 10,000 times a year for no reason.

• Like 1