Ultimate Subaru Message Board

solutions to standalone wiring , reprograming , carburetors

Hi all, i have a lot of old subarus, loyals gl's dl's i want to put 2.5's in them and in the past i have just used the 91 harness from a legacy or what ever cause its dumb and happy to run the motor but i cant get the timeing i want this way, so the other option is to put a distributor on the 2.2 and a carb . but i was hopeing i could find someone that knows about what you need to reprogram the stock computer to give the values i want ? stand alone is one option aswell but expensive and shouldn't you be able to do the same by reprograming stock comp?

I’m wanting more clarification on this one, I see you have some ideas floating around in the top paddock… 

This would be for EJ22 conversions into the earlier EA82 models, correct? 

Standalone/aftermarket would be the ultimate way to go, and with the factory wiring systems becoming harder to find, it could end up the only way to go. 

As for programming the factory ECU, I’m 99.9% sure the early stuff is locked with what it’s got already, no messing with the programming there. 

Carb and dizzy can be done but you’d be sacrificing reliability, efficiency and ultimately power too. There were some EJ engines that were factory carb or SPFI with a dizzy for spark in other markets. 

At the end of the day it seems you’re not building a power house engine, mods to NA EJ22s don’t return the bang for the buck spent - unlike the EJ20 turbo variants, they’re a whole other kettle of fish. 

If GD drops in here I’m sure he’ll back what I’ve said above with his knowledge and experience, other will be in that same boat too. 

Don’t try reinventing something, in this case, that’s been tried many times without success in anything other than throwing money to the wind. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

well i wanted more control of the timing on the turbo ones i have a propane loyal 1.8l running cams a tooth advanced, i think maybe retarded. any way i needed 45 degrees crank timing at 25psi boost an the thing was one of the crazier 1.8's i have driven only lasted 6000km but i wanted to do it again but blow threw propane or gas but to at least be able to pull some more timing, i was running a low comp turbo pistons as well hoping to stuff more charge in the thing . thanks for the response i appreciate the input 

I've never seen anyone reflash the obdi EJ ECUs, there have been a few things available for the SVX, but I think those are all off the shelf tunes, and not tuneable.

You would have to remove (desolder, most likely, although you could probably install a socket to make it easier to do again in the future) the EEPROM chip from the ECU board and put it into a reader/burner. Download the raw code. Decode it. Recode it. Burn the new code to the chip. and then reinstall it. Every time you want to make a change. Yuck.

With the cost of a Speeduino or Megasquirt these days (and even a speedy is likely considerably more powerful than a 30 year old factory ECU), I don't think any of that makes any sense.

• Like 1

Commercial offerings such as the LINK ecu's we use are lightyears ahead of the Megasquirt stuff, etc. You would be much better served by an entry level LINK Monsoon. Very robust unit about the size of a deck of cards. Completely sealed and weatherproof, USB interface, very well developed software and data logging, excellent customer support and an active community forum, etc. They support the EA82 optical distributor chopper disc (it's actually the same as the Nissan stuff that LINK specializes in). And the Monsoon is less than $1k. 

Programming the stock ECU is WAY beyond your abilities if you want to "go mechanical" 

And running purely mechanical is a pipe dream unless you want to dig up an EA71 mechanical distributor (good luck finding any quality points/condensers for it) and stick it in an EA81 with a carb. People always want to do stupid things like that - easier to just harden the EFI against EMP. 

GD

• Like 2