Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's so hot where you live, who cares!?   

I have little turbo experience so I can't offer any advice. But turbo's generate so much heat.  If a missing heat shield substantially increases heat loading of the engine bay (and gaskets/hoses/electrical components) I'd be inclined to keep it. 

Probably not but can it damage the hood paint too? Running hot in summer idling at a red light that hood will get smoking hot. 

Nice, I think I'll try to get it back on.

see, at NASIOC this would have gotten replies like; YOU THINK YOU'RE SMARTER THAN SUBARU ENGINEERS! GET IT BACK ON IMMEDIATELY! IT'S CRITICAL YOU IDIOT!.

or

THAT THING IS A PIECE OF HEAVY OVER-ENGINEERED CRAP! WHY'D YOU HAVE IT ON ALL THESE YEARS! LEAVE IT OFF YOU IDIOT!

52 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

see, at NASIOC this would have gotten replies like; YOU THINK YOU'RE SMARTER THAN SUBARU ENGINEERS! GET IT BACK ON IMMEDIATELY! IT'S CRITICAL YOU IDIOT!.

Well done - post here, just watch there, this is the way!

Toss it and install a blanket instead:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/heat-isolation-heat-wrap/fpro35-009-07-ptp-turbo-blankets-turbo-blanket-lava

The heat shields crack. But you do need *something* or you heat soak the crap out of the intercooler and that does lead to unnecessary pulling of timing, detonation, and poor performance.  

GD

• Like 2