Ultimate Subaru Message Board

10 years old and no one has tried to swap a Forester/Outback CVT transmission?

Subaru and salvage yard cross listings don't list them as compatible - but that doesn't mean they can't be interchanged, just like past transmissions. 

Wondering if a 2014 Forester parts car trans will work in a 2014 Outback?

Yes, yes...I already know what Subaru and parts interchanges say.  Just like in the early 2000's, and 1990's when they said the same thing...but all the transmissions could be interchanged if the rear diff matched. 

32 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

is there any internal 'brain' that would prevent that? something altering shift points? I'd expect not but, yeah, who knows nowadays.

I don't think there are processors in the trans...but you're right, the CANBUS flavored TCU has a good chance of being unkind.

I've found two instances of people swapping the same final drive ratio CVT's that aren't listed as compatible: 

A 2013 OBW and 2014 OBW swap.

And 2015 legacy into a 2014 OBW.

So "non-interchangeable" CVT's swapping has been accomplished, but not cross platform yet - no { Leg/OBW } to/from {For/Imp/Crosstek}

I wouldn't be surprised if Foresters can....or can't....be swapped with OBW CVT's....

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I don't think there are processors in the trans...but you're right, the CANBUS flavored TCU has a good chance of being unkind.

I've found two instances of people swapping the same final drive ratio CVT's that aren't listed as compatible: 

A 2013 OBW and 2014 OBW swap.

And 2015 legacy into a 2014 OBW.

So "non-interchangeable" CVT's swapping has been accomplished, but not cross platform yet - no { Leg/OBW } to/from {For/Imp/Crosstek}

I wouldn't be surprised if Foresters can....or can't....be swapped with OBW CVT's....

If not...maybe one could swap the valve body/solenoid pack (or whatever it's called in the CVT) over to make it work? From what I understand there are just two models of CVT, TR580 and TR690. It seems the TR690 is used in turbo models and H6, where the TR580 is used in N/A applications. So if they are both N/A then maybe? I'm sure someone here has more specific experience than I do.

Edited by laegion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, laegion said:

From what I understand there are just two models of CVT, TR580 and TR690. It seems the TR690 is used in turbo models and H6, where the TR580 is used in N/A applications.

I'm sure someone here has more specific experience than I do.

Thanks. Makes sense, I’ve only seen the 580 mentioned and it seems that’s the form factor for most (or all)  CVTs. 

If this transmission I have is a low mileage Subaru reman like I think I might bug GD wether the CANBUS or TCU would play with a different final drive. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Thanks. Makes sense, I’ve only seen the 580 mentioned and it seems that’s the form factor for most (or all)  CVTs. 

If this transmission I have is a low mileage Subaru reman like I think I might bug GD wether the CANBUS or TCU would play with a different final drive. 

Yeah, I don't think the TR690 is very common compared to the TR580, I don't know about other places in the U.S. but I see a lot more n/a subies around than turbo or H6, with the exception being the Ascent which does use the TR690; and I guess now the Wilderness Edition OBW which I see around quite a bit considering it's not been out long.

Edited by laegion

Go to parts.subaru.com

Open up a second window and do the same. 

Compare internal part numbers till you are satisfied they will interchange (with or without a rear diff swap). 

The CVT-HD that uses different fluid didn't come out till the 15+ WRX and the 16+ H6 IIRC. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1