Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vacuume "Vs" center diff

ok, here is what i want to know...

what is the difference between a vacuume 4x4, and a center diff?

they look the same to me.. or am i just loosing it?

Your question doesn't really make any sense.

Are you referring to the tranny>?

The switch?

the vacuum switching mechanism (solenoid pack)?

The solenoid packs are the same for the pushbutton 5 speed and the FT4WD 5 speed difflock.

the pushbutton 4wd and the center diff lock use the same mechanism. i put an xt full time tranny in my turbo pushbutton 5spd, and my existing 4wd button and all the vac lines worked the diff lock mechanism the same. you can take a car with diff lock and put a pushbutton tranny in there and the diff lock switch will be your 4wd.

when a full time diff is locked, it is the same thing as a pushbutton(part time) tranny engaged into 4wd

ok so is what i am hearing is that they are the same?

i just bought a 88 gl with vacuume 4wd, but the guy through in a different trans, he said it was a AWD with center diff lock (and he gave me the switch also).

if i put that in my gl, what is going to be the difference, they look the same. i know looks arnt everything, but i have never done anything with a AWD trany.

will it be AWD, if so what is the point of the vacuume soloniod? and what dose the diff lock do?

thanks

-=suberdave=-

for a pushbutton 4WD, when you push the button, you go from 2WD -> 4WD with no center diff, so you are locked front to back

for the full time 4WD trans, when you hit the diff lock button you go from 4WD with open center diff -> 4WD locked front to back. (same as pushbutton)

The difference is the center diff. the FT4WD tranny doesn't have a 2WD option)

ok so is what i am hearing is that they are the same?

i just bought a 88 gl with vacuume 4wd, but the guy through in a different trans, he said it was a AWD with center diff lock (and he gave me the switch also).

if i put that in my gl, what is going to be the difference, they look the same. i know looks arnt everything, but i have never done anything with a AWD trany.

will it be AWD, if so what is the point of the vacuume soloniod? and what dose the diff lock do?

thanks

-=suberdave=-

I just did the exact same conversion on my 87 turbo wagon.. its plug and play..