Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjusting throttle body plate angle

If you’re messing with the throttle body idle position, read up on the requirements of the TPS adjustments (if needed). 

On the earlier models, any adjustments of the throttle butterfly required an adjustment to the TPS so the ECU was still getting the correct readings from the sensor. 

Does the FSM say that you need 0% throttle at idle? I’d check into that first before adjusting anything. 

Are you experiencing any issues or have you just looked into the data/sensor readings and thought “that’s not right”? The engine still needs air at idle! 

Cheers 

Bennie

i would not touch any adjustments until after making sure the plate and throat are spotlessly clean.  there could be dirt/carbon/etc build up that is not allowing the plate to close properly

make sure everything is clean, then recheck function... then, and only then do you touch adjustments, if needed

Throttle body and IAC valve are both clean. Having issues with a hanging idle where idle wants to hold at 1600 rpms after warm and first acceleration. If I restart idle will be at ~750 rpms until first press of accelerator. Vehicle has been smoke tested.

I wonder if the issue lies with your IACV. My sister’s EJ251 has an issue with the IACV where it will stall sometimes when coming up to a stop or when changing down gears into a slow intersection turn. From time to time the check engine light comes on and the code is always for the IACV. 

Sounds like your issue could be along the same lines, particularly if your IACV is the plunger style unit with the rubber dome shaped seal on the end. Seems that these seals wear or crack at the contact point and leak air, resulting in the idle issues and resulting check engine light. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1