Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Legacy - new girl questions

Hi all,
I just acquired a 1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon for my son. 

It is in good running condition after replacing the fuel pump.  I am trying to figure out what exactly is involved in lifting it (nothing crazy but thinking 2 inches?).  It needs tires so planning to get new wheels and bigger tires.  Guessing spacers are needed to push the wheels out?  
Honestly I have no idea and I am looking for some suggestions on what to do and how to find parts or know what is needed.  

I really appreciate any direction. 

Resized_20220514_130227_001_1429 (1).jpeg

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend spacers, I would go with some different wheels with a different backspacing. Spacers are not the safest thing to have on a car...

As for lift, the easiest and safest way would be to swap in some 96-99 outback struts as the body of the strut is around 2" taller so you'll get about that much lift from them. However it seems the top strut mounts for the rear are different so you would have to use the original ones from the car mounted on the new struts.

I did this mod on my '95 Legacy and it's been great.

Edited by laegion

2 hours ago, laegion said:

I wouldn't recommend spacers, I would go with some different wheels with a different backspacing. Spacers are not the safest thing to have on a car...

As for lift, the easiest and safest way would be to swap in some 96-99 outback struts as the body of the strut is around 2" taller so you'll get about that much lift from them. However it seems the top strut mounts for the rear are different so you would have to use the original ones from the car mounted on the new struts.

I did this mod on my '95 Legacy and it's been great.

Thank you for this info. It’s great to have feedback from someone who has actually done some of this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SweeB said:

Thank you for this info. It’s great to have feedback from someone who has actually done some of this. 

You're welcome. There are others here that have done more than I, I'm sure some of them will chime in with their bits of wisdom. They probably just haven't had a chance to check the forum yet today.

Outback strut assemblies with new KYB struts and 16” Subaru wheels of your choice will give good lift results, larger wheels/tires and it’s easy. 

sometimes very early 90s legacys and/or Imprezas have slight suspension variations.  Make sure that’s not the case for whatever approach you take.

Scott builds lifts and is a long time member here.  A 2” lift would be easiest to install.but then you’re stuck with legacy fender /tire clearance.  

https://www.sjrlift.com/

• Like 1