Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PLEASE HELP/ EA81 Thermoswitch /Electric Fan wont come on/ Please Electric Gods Help

Hey All.. Once again Iam in need of your wisdom.... 1985 EA81 Brat

My Electric Fan Will Not Turn On... I did the testing that our Holy Bible " HTKYSA" Book says... When I disconnected the the wire from the Thermoswitch the Fan turned on without being grounded. Both Fans come on when the Air Cond. is turned on....

Does anybody have any other suggestions of where else I can check the wiring... I can only assume that the wire is grounding out somewhere else.. The wire goes into a mess of other wires in a plastic tube.

It seems the thermoswitch was replaced once before because the wire was spliced right before it was connected to the thermoswitch. Thanks All... Joe

Is that little ground wire from the frame to the radiator hooked in solidly? I had the same problem... that fixed it right up. If not that, try jiggling the connection from the sending unit on the passenger side of the radiator. Mine was corroded and needed some jiggling. But check that little ground wire... Bet thats it

Well I sanded the area where the wire connects from the radiator to the steel frame on the front of the brat... I even sanded the wire eye loop connector... No Luck....

I also removed the wire that attaches to the thermoswitch and sanded the connection right on the thermoswitch... Still no luck,,

As I said grounding the thermoswitch wire to the frame does not turn the fan on because when I simply removed the wire from the thermoswitch the fan came on immediately. So Im assuming that the wire leading to the thermoswitch must be grounding itself somewhere before it even gets to the thermoswitch.

I was hoping that someone else had this problem and found a simple solution instead of me trying to trace the wiring in the harness... Im not to good at that stuff...

Thanks for your replys.. every bit helps...

if both fans come on when the AC is turned on, then it sounds like somebody already modified the wiring to do that....

do you want it back to stock wiring?

easiest way to sort out the fan wiring will be to remove the battery so you have access to the wires/loom and start sorting them out... if you want to get back to stock. somebody couldlet you know whatwires are for the stock connetor and thermoswich... if nobody does by the time I get back to IA, then I can get some pics from my 86. should be the same....

if the fan turns on, when it is Not grounded. Sounds like thats grounding a relay. So, My guess is, the thermo switch grounds when it's cold, and ungrounds when it's hot, and it's probably stuck in the grounded position. It sounds like a totally diffrent wireing system than most triditional ea81 wireing systems on A/C, but it's probably been changed if it's aftermarket A/C or someone was being really creative. The traditional way, is the therm switch, grounds the fan, to turn it on. no relay involved. Thats how it is on my brat anyway. Sounds like the oppisite happens on your car. Just my bit of knowledge, I had the same problem once.

Try disconnecting the fan itself. Then disconnect the wire running to the thermoswitch. If you hear something click when you do that, then there's a relay that is being tripped.

Now, just so I'm clear...if you disconnect the wire from the thermoswitch, do BOTH fans come on or just the one?

The only fan that comes on it the cooling fan when I disconnect the thermoswitch wire. I will sometime tonight or Monday to disconnect the fan wire and thermo wire and listen for a click sound somewhere...

Thanks Again All for your input ... Joe