Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, Intercoolers really work!

*Bump*

Hello Will,

Your intercooler looks like it may be elevated up some. If it is, how did you accomplish this? Also, there seem to be some vacuum hoses (I believe this is what they were) in my way if I were to put piping from the intercooler to the throttle body. Did you run into this problem?

Those vacuum hoses by the throttle body look like they are further back (towards the front of the car) on your car for some reason. I looked at this briefly before coming into work tonight. Perhaps I need to look at it with more detail tomorrow. :confused:

i was curious if you were to put a fun underneath the I/C to pull air though for low speeds would it be worth it.
Yes! Anything to route cool air to the intercooler would be worth it. I've seen pics of an intercooler mounted on the underside of a car with a scoop of sorts routing the air up to and through it. It was supposedly effective.

About the fan, I have two 6.5 inch spal fans on the car in the sig and it cools the tmic down to abient temp while sitting in traffic after like 1 min or so.

I don't have my xt scoop ducted to my ic so I think alot of the air just goes around the ic, into the engine bay while at crusing so sometimes I run the fans then too.

I highly recommend the fans for setting in traffic. Think about it that scoop is just like a chimmey on a wood stove, and all that air goes right through the ic and out the scoop. I have watched it on cold days you can actually see the heat waves, turn on the fans and no more heat waves.

I wired my fans to a switch that goes from "on" to boost sensor activated the boost sensor thing didn't work out because while cruising, the boost sensor would switch "on" "off" like 50 times a sec, basically it would make the relay go buzzzzzzzz, I have heard that relays don't like that so I disabled that and am thinking about going to a speed activated system, ie drop below 30 ic fans come on? Sorry for the long post this just really interests me.

*Bump*

Hello Will,

Your intercooler looks like it may be elevated up some. If it is, how did you accomplish this? Also, there seem to be some vacuum hoses (I believe this is what they were) in my way if I were to put piping from the intercooler to the throttle body. Did you run into this problem?

Those vacuum hoses by the throttle body look like they are further back (towards the front of the car) on your car for some reason. I looked at this briefly before coming into work tonight. Perhaps I need to look at it with more detail tomorrow. :confused:

The spare tire thingy elevates it....i did trim it off...but it still sits it up. Thats fine, its fits snug under the hood so there is very minimal airflow getting away from it after the scoop.

There is certinly NOT much clearance at all with those lines...maybe the 87 and up throt bodys have the ports closer...dunno. unless youve got really thick stuff to slip over the TB, then i dont think its a problem....certinly i have little room at all...but it fits with out aftually casuing a problem.