Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 in a EA81 car?

So--I have to bow to the horsepower gods--the EA81 motor can't work the new tires well enough (see prior post) & I'm thinking of a Legacy 2.2 & two/wheel/drive 5-speed. I've got the motor & no, I can't use anything bigger without moving into another class--I thought about a EJ25 & that would move me up against the 5.0 Mustangs &---- So--has anyone done it or seen it done? This looks like the winter project, so time will be on my side? All weigh in here or contact me at britnutdl@macdialup.com

Later!!!!

sorry if this is off the topic but do you have the dimensions for the replacement bushings that you had on your site? Just wondering cause I would like to make some out of UHMW or even T-6 aluminum

Well-I make bushings for people--if you are set-up to cut UHMW I can send you the specs--or I can make you a car set for $60--I need to ship out another set to a guy in the Bay Area--let me know-- britnutdl@macdialup.com

I've Done it 2 times Now.....Going for a 3rd....:)

Call me when you are ready to do it.....John

My # is in My Signiture.....

Hi John--I work at a shop in Medford--have all the equiptment to do the mod--would be interested in photos/tips for the mod. Any problem areas?

Also--I have identified a dist type to mount in the rear of the cam boss on the pass bank--I will be removing the F.I. & redesigning the intake for a sidedraft Dellorto 45--want to make it simple--no electronics other than the dist--I'm a old-school carb man---

Yeah I am sat up for it in fact they have some up at Clackamas Community College and I fiddled around with it and made a test plug for my large ID threading project in class on the lathe. I also have access to alot of machinery at work too so no problems with that.

and with the EJ-22 isn't it Ditributorless?

Yes--The EJ series engines are computer-controlled & dist-less--The point is that I'm going to modify the engine in several ways & this generally goes outside the computer pre-set fuel/ignition curves--I was pleased to see a cross-slot in the right (pass side) cam--this allows a old type electronic dist with mechanical advance--the cover boss can be machined to accept several units I can think of---Also, I want the simple-fix-it-at-the-track of carbs & basic ignition--if you have a computer problem, you are side-lined til you can get to the systems to help check it out--not so with the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) system--re-jetting & basic electronics can be done in the pits very quickly.:)

By the way--I just finished two days of Autocross with the car--We had long track times--My best was a low 1min 42sec & some change--for a "heads up"-- a friend from Portland was down with his '02 WRX & his best was a 1min 46sec & change--so my "old school" '82 GLF cleaned up a "new" WRX--He was a good sport, but-------:grin: