Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it safe to saw this off?

This is why they design 'hub caps' :) Real hub caps just cover that stub sticking out and your actual hub. What most ppl have are wheel covers that cover their whole ugly black steel rims; like those wal-mart spinners :cool:

I would get a neat hub cap for the center of your rims before sawing that off.

Not only ruin the waranty, but possibly weaken the CV Hub itself. What are you going to use to cut it? Whatever you use, be very careful, and i would probably remove the hub and do it on a bench or something instead of hunched over next to your car waving a dremel or something around.

I vote: no, leave it there.

-Brian

i did the same on my s-10 but i used a small portable electric mini band saw meant for metal pipe and stuff

worked really quick and smooth then i dressed up the edges of the stud

so it did not have sharp edges to potentially start a crack for what ever reason

you can rent those little bandsaw's they are made by milwaukie hmm methinks thats spelled wrong

but don't cut out your pin hole.. thats bad

If you feel the need to cut , do so....

Don't take it quite to the threads, and As others have stated It will void any warranty you may have on the axles.....That is there for 2 Reasons, To be a Pull point for the Proper Installation Tool, and To beat on when driving the axle out of the Hub for replacement......Think of these 2 things when trimming it down .....

Have Fun, John.....