Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Sub won't start

My daughters 87 Sub 4dr 2wd. Was dying after driving a while. I replaced the fuel filter, no avail. Then I went to Pull and Save and got a used Fuel pump, still no run. Put starting fluid and it starts. Old pump works great test it.

Any ideas?

Please help.

Michael Carey, KD7GHZ

The power to the pump may not be working. To check this try starting the engine breifly to and then turn the key to off. Then turn the key to 'on' and listen for a slight hum from the pump as it charges the line briefly. If you don't hear the hum then you most likely are not getting voltage to the pump. It may be due to a bad fuel pump relay. Other ignition signal problems can cause this to happen also.

also you can plug in the green test connectors under the dash(mpfi) or on the firewall by the wiper motor(spfi)

plug them in and the fuel pump will cyle on and off

test the plug for the pump itself. first put + on the red and - on the black. if you get voltage good, if not. put the = on the red and- on the body(ground) if you get voltage there you have a bad ground in the FP circuit, but you can make your own ground on the body. you can run the wire thru the brake line grommet and ground it to the rear seat bolt