Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need some advice on manual transmission.

I’m going to a college in Michigan with my Brat. The car currently has a 4 speed manual transmission. At high speed like over 65mph, the rpm is at around 4k. I know putting a lift kit and bigger tires will lower the rpm at high speed. Here comes my question. In Michigan, the speed limit on a highway is 80mph (or 70mph, I’m not sure) Anyways it is higher than here in Washington, I was wondering a 4spd transmission and lift kit with bigger tires will still stay at low rpm when I drive over 80mph (of course I’m going to get my engine rebuild before I go to Michigan) or is it wise to get a 5 speed transmission. I don’t know how much spare time I will have to go offroad during years of attending a college but I will go offroad once in a while. Oh and I will be on the pavement most of the time (like 70% or 80%).

Thanks

Dan

Unless you build a high output engine, the larger tires will put you at a serious disadvantage if the speed limit is 80. I seriously doubt you could sustain 80 MPH with a 27 or 28" tire. With my 28's, I'm lucky to maintain 60 MPH up a hill on the freeway. I have hit 80 with it.... actaully I have hit about 90 or a little over, but it just can't maintain those speeds if it hits even a slight grade. On the flat, and down hill runs you would do alright.

You have an 82 4 speed, which is an excelent choice for larger tires due to it's lower 3rd and 4th gears - I would keep it. A 5 speed will be basically a waste of time for you if you are going to lift it. 5th gear is not very usueful, and 4th gear on the 5 speed is about what 4th gear is on your current transmission. The only real benifit is that the 5 speed's have a slightly lower 4WD Low gear.... but it's a very slight difference.

GD

Speed limit here in Mi., is 70, but not to many drive it, most are over, some way over it. Not to much in the way of steep grades like you guys have out in Wa., Or., atleast not on the Big roads. I've not had to much problems doing the speed limit with either of the BRATs, but, I haven't drove the '84 at 70 that much either. Some of the back roads may have some steeper grades to them, but still, nothing like you have out there.

What Colledge you going to?

If you are going to lift and put big tires on forget the 5speed. The only time I use a 5th gear with my 29" tires is coming down a hill. As soon as it levels off and/or comes back up the next hill its back to 4th and hope nobody gets in the way to slow me down. When slowpokes get in the way its back to 3rd so I can crest the hill and get back into 4th. On the interstates and freeways around here the speed limit is 70mph. I can hit that, and easily sustain it, but not in 5th gear.

Unless you have some big ideas about a real power plant just shoot your money on a lift, big tires, and offroad stuff :cool: No need for that 5th overdrive gear in an offroad rig. Just keep flooring it in 4th !_!