Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 o2 sensors?

ok this is a 86 4dr rx d/r

it has the usuall o2 located in the downpipe like all the other ea82t's

but

it also has a o2 under the turbo but... its not hooked up to anything...

any idea's why? it has 2 of them?

here is the mystery one you all know what the single o in the downpipe looks like

and yes for those with good monitors that is a crack in the wastegate port

this turbo also has 1/4" of in and out play but almost no side to side play

2o2.jpg

ok this is a 86 4dr rx d/r

it has the usuall o2 located in the downpipe like all the other ea82t's

but

it also has a o2 under the turbo but... its not hooked up to anything...

any idea's why? it has 2 of them?

here is the mystery one you all know what the single o in the downpipe looks like

and yes for those with good monitors that is a crack in the wastegate port

this turbo also has 1/4" of in and out play but almost no side to side play

It's probably not an 02 sensor but instead an Exhaust Gas Temp sensor (EGT). Place before the turbo gives you an indication of the cumbustion temp in the cylinder and if the engine is running too lean. The hotter the temp the leaner the burn, and too lean means knock and bad things.

Keith

right i know what egt sensor is.. i thought of it to

but its a stock looking part

and there are no egt gauges in this thing or even indications it had extra gauges at one time

no mystery wires no mounting holes in the dash ect

My EA82T had the same bung on the up pipe. It stumped even the service manager at the local dealer. We dug through the mecca of FSM's in the "reading room" and found nothing about this second bung...He suggested that it may have been a Cal motor or perhaps JDM as none of the fed models had EGT in that era. The egt was used in some cal and jdm cars as an additional emmissions control.

I bought a plug at the local muffler shop.

garner

I had the same thing when I picked up my wagon originally. I think its just another possible o2 location. that up pipe cracked and the new one I grabed did not have the bung.

If you want a good cheap plug find the appropriate oil drain plug at your local parts store.

What you are seeing is the stock O2 placement on the EA81T's. The EA81 and 82 turbo's use the same crossover pipe. All the EA82's I've seen have a plug in this port. It is quite possible that either A, it has been replaced with an older pipe, B, someone installed another O2 to monitor A/F ratio's, or C, that it is indeed a stock O2 for a cali. I cannot verify option C, as I have never worked on a Cali car, and don't even know if they have the option of 2 O2's or not, I'll look into this tmarrow on the the computer at work. But for the most part, I would go with the first 2 idea's.

There are two different part number for the header.....one for 85-87, and one for 87-89....no detailed pics enough to tell a difference. Ive enver seen a difference in person...except this 88 has a bung, my 86 didnt...an 85 xt didnt, and the 89 rx didnt....and all of them look the same except for the bung.

now for 1984 turbo...a completely different part number...but same illustration...cant see a bung.

and same part number for 1983. Hmmm....maybe it was a Euro or JDM part that was sneaked in on the assy line....afterall, these things were assembled and built in JAPAN. The Land of all things SUBARU.

here is a pic of the two, you can see the front one has an o2 sensor in it, the engine that this came off of was sent here from japan.

wp_subaru005.jpg

also if you look (i know its hard on the computer) the outlet to the turbo is larger, the NA o2 one is 1 3/8 and the O2 one is 1 5/8. a 1/4 inch is a lot when its that size.

wp_subaru011.jpg

-=suberdave=-