Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overheating

This last weekend I drove over to the Tri-cities. On my way there it was hot 105. As I was driving I noticed that my BRAT wanted to over heat on the up hill climbs. I was running it hard but I've never had that happen before. Does that happen to everyone else?

Jeff

I really didn't think about the different thermostats temps that would make a difference. That would have been kinda nice to know before I went on the trip. It scared me being 250miles away from home and see you car start to over heat in the middle of the desert. Thanks for the anwser.

Jeff

I really didn't think about the different thermostats temps that would make a difference. That would have been kinda nice to know before I went on the trip. It scared me being 250miles away from home and see you car start to over heat in the middle of the desert. Thanks for the anwser.

Jeff

The low temp thermostat won't make a signifcant difference. With the engine overheating both thermostats are wide open anyway; with the 180 degree version it just takes a little longer to start overheating since it opens earlier. Depending on the age of the car and radiator you have, if the temp guage climbs higher as you go faster or up longer hills, the only way to dissipate the heat is with a more efficient radiator (i.e. new, although double row is best). Don't waste your money on a radiator flush....they don't help a twenty year old radiator. Put that money to a new radiator instead, you'll be glad you did.

Nope - my stock single row EA81 radiator from 1985 is just fine in over 100 degree temps. No sign of overheating at all. And I drive HARD. 75 - 80 MPH down the freeway. The temp rises a little at those speeds, but not much.

You may need a new radiator, or have the old one gone over. But before you go to these extreme measures, you should replace the cap and the thermostat (Dealership only one that), and do a system pressure test. Any small leaks in the system (you may now know if they are leaking INTO the intake) will weaken the cooling ability. My Brat used to overheat as well, but after replacing the thermostat, the cap, and fixing a leaky carb base gasket I'm in good shape once again. My guage has never read over half and I routinely rev to 6k between shifts, and travel at excessive speeds on the freeway in 90+ degreee weather.

The EA81 radiators are tough - every one I've come across has been in good condition. Granted I live in Oregon so there's no rust here..... I think people are too quick to diagnose a bad radiator when that may not be the case. My 84 wagon, my 85 Brat, my friends 82 Brat, and his 84 wagon all have the original radiators and are doing great.

I had my friend at City Radiator completely go through the one from the 82 Brat when we had the engine out - just for kicks (he did it for free). He cleaned and inspected it fully. He found a small leak in the side of the upper raditor hose tank. He ran a camera down into the radiator and found no evidence of any deposites in the core. He soldered up the small seam leak, and brazed the top mounting bracket back on for me (broke one end loose when removing it from the car). Even painted it for me. He said it was in "excelent" condition. Over 20 years old, and over 190k on it. Oh yeah - he's worked there for over 15 years, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to radiators.

Test - then replace. No reason to throw away money.

GD

I had my friend at City Radiator completely go through the one from the 82 Brat when we had the engine out - just for kicks (he did it for free). He cleaned and inspected it fully. He found a small leak in the side of the upper raditor hose tank. He ran a camera down into the radiator and found no evidence of any deposites in the core. He soldered up the small seam leak, and brazed the top mounting bracket back on for me (broke one end loose when removing it from the car). Even painted it for me. He said it was in "excelent" condition. Over 20 years old, and over 190k on it. Oh yeah - he's worked there for over 15 years, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to radiators.

I've been looking for a decent radiator shop since moving out here from Delaware. I might consider sending a used rad down to you for "re-conditioning/checkout." Thanks for the info.