Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I do it? Should I try?

OK, first a little background info. As some of you know I inquired earlier about the difficulty of swapping the 5-speed D/R drivetrain, under the rust-free (almost) SPFI body of the loyale. And I decided to do it (DUH).

I have a friend whos dad works at a salvage place and they have a VERY large garage, with a commercial toolset :grin: etc. The problem is we can only use it when they're not open (7am-6pm weekdays). The question is if I go monster garage style, and gather some of my most mechanically inclined friends together and go late into the night and back early in the morning to work all day both days starting Friday evening. Can I have it done by Sunday night? This means BOTH cars cleared out and back to my house (only about 8-10 miles away).

While I have the engine pulled I would like to put quite a bit of work into the good motor to make it run better. New Belts, hoses, gaskets etc. are a must, clean stuff out, replace the EGR valve (check engine light's been on for years). SO, if I pull the motor a week or so early at my house, will there be enough left of the car to tow it over to the garage? Does the tranny HAVE to come out too, or is there enough holding it in that I wouldn't have to mess with it until we get to the real tools?

The other option would be to do it in my own three car garage w/cracked floor, a decent tool set (would have to borrow an engine hoist and a couple pairs of jackstands) and VERY limited space, but have 2-3 whole weeks to mess around with it.

ONE more question, if we do decide to do it, should I try to do the accord spring mod to the back and disc brake conversion while we have things torn apart, or will we be too strapped for time? these could easily be done in an afternoon back home, I'd just rather not tear things apart twice.

I think that's the bulk of the info

-Chux

PS MorganM, you will be one of those mechanically inclined friends, and Archemitis too if he wants!

dont try to rush it.

It may be possible to complete in one quick shot. then again if you have any luck like mine you will run into multiple problems that will slow you down no matter how hard you try. I now sceduel these unforseen obsticals into a project.

I would do it at home. but then again I have most all the tools I need in my small garage.

I would make the suspension/ brakes project seperate. none of that stuff will need to come off to do the swap any way.

good luck.

well im not siding, because i dont know how knowlegeable you or your friends are, or....., but i will say that you should ALWAYS prepare for stupid little problems that will annoy the crap out of you, cause you to hurl ratchets into neighbors yards, and slow you down dramastically. i know it sucks being pessimistic when it come to fun and cool projects but, it sucks more when you run into problems with a deadline!!!:banghead:

another thing, subarus really dont need many tools to take them apart. if you plan ahead, gather all the tools you'll need as well as plenty of tools to pry, wedge, and smack with, you'll be fine. if you have enough basic tools, and your wrenching buddies have a few tools they could bring, it might go smoother at your house. because rushing somthing like this could also be a baaaaaad idea.

plus when your in a hurry, and your "crusing" along, and then you run into a minute problem, it usually seems MUCH larger than it is and it could really spoil your attitude, which would then lead to more and more tools winding up over the fence or in a neighboring yard.

so (now im siding) unless you really want to push your luck, id say plan ahead, do it with your friends(work on the car that is :D ) have fun, and do it right the first time. plus if you have a "guinea pig," maby you could use him/her to go get special tools you need from the said yard. just an idea.

cheers bro,

tyler j

make sure you have a good crew aboard, yess it can be done within a 24 hour period. but that is given you know what to expect. pull the motor. pull the trans from the top if you chose.

lower the 5spd in from the top. have a buddy do the pedal box while you do the engine seals. install the motor fully assembled

get the car running and driving, then swap the rear parts(and driveshaft)

Took me a week to do the conversion (and I didnt have to do the pedal assembly cuz I already have a 5spd in there) with myself and a friend working about 4 hours a night. This was going from a FWD 5spd GL wagon to a 4WD DR 5spd GL wagon. Pretty similar swap but youll have more work with the pedal assembly and running the cables upto your tranny and hil holder (if you got one)

Why are you pulling the SPFI? If it runs I say leave it be for now. No need to do a drive train conversion AND motor pull/install. Also foget the other upgrades at that time. They will just take longer and cuase more issues.

Do you have to install all the Loyale junk into your GL to drive it off? Or is it junkyard time for that old goat? That will take even more time getting it all in your GL and running since youd esentially be doing 2 converstions then.

If you want to do it ALL at the same time then do it in your garage over a couple weeks as you have time. Then you could do the drivetrain swap, pull the motor and seal her up, reinstall the motor and get it running, do the rear springs and the rear disc conversion. You'd have one fully pimped wagon by then. Ready for some biger rims and big tires !_!

Let me know what weekend you do it if you are gonna go for the blitzqrieg swap and I might be able to come help on that SAT night or something.

Peace

Ok, you've all confirmed what I already suspected, this would be a better idea to take my time. I guess I'll do it that way.

As for the motor, after looking at it, I think the easiest way to swap Trannies is to pull the motors, and take the tranny out through the hood. Am I wrong? I don't really have the technology to get the car up high enough to get it out through the bottom.

The GL will have to roll, but that's about it, I will probably hang on to it for a parts car, but I won't have it run. But I will need to get it out of the garage and pushed back into the woods after the swap.

-Chux