Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sadness.....

Well, ive been scrounging thru the SUBARU electronic catalog for SUBARU parts....obviously for the EA82 chassis....body parts are almost no existant here in the states...quanities are approaching ZERO and are usually less than 20 peices in JAPAN.....

Last night I was sitting in the shop the car....starign it over really well...wondering...why? Why am I doing this? One day i could slip and this thing would be in the trees....liablity only and ofcourse, if I happen to be in the way of some idiot...no insurance company is going to give me anything for it, much less say "we will fix it"...parts are not avalible. the front bumper reinforcement for the 86? Obsolete. Gone, no more. Used only...those are...well, less than desirable too...

Things like the fenders...none left in the country...I want new RX ones...only 19 left, in JAPAN. Upper moulding? 5 for the right and NONE for the Left in JAPAN....those are...well, damaged and leaky on the wagon.....never seen any used in better condition.

So if a body peice get destroyed....oh my....its just gone really.

And then...I was thinking...mabye i shold move to impreza....i just could not bear the thought...yes, its a SUBARU, but it seems wrong....it felt like I was going to abandon the poor thing....

Am i insane? I think im in love with them...which is why I just cannot let a SUBARU go with out it going to a place were I KNOW it will be safe from destruction....and i seem to be buying and begging for every EA82T chassis I find....

that project RX shell ive got...the unibody is warped...be wrecked 3-4 times, TOTALLED twice...and the front end is a mess under the sheet metal...and I still have it...i cant seem to let it go.......

I guess im a SUBARU sick-o or something.....

are there others out there like me? or am i just crazy?

you arent alone. i just found even more rust that i missed last time i patched my rx, this time in front of the right rear tire.there is a hole and i can see to the back of the fron fender through it. my front right fender has dents in it from sitting behind a garage for 6 years. the rear fenders are rusting, well the right side any way, i patched the left. i wish i had the money to take it to a body shop and get it fixed right. i guess that when there are nomore replacement parts out there, we might have to start modifiying parts from other/newer cars. i for one think that a pre 2k wrx front bumper would be hot on the rx, as well as the wide front fenders. i know im nuts when it comes to my passion for subaru, new and old.

we need to find someone that will make replacement body parts for our cars, and maybe a few custom parts as well

Oh WJM,

I feel your pain/insanity....

I'm looking for gen 1 stuff, even worse. My parts guy here tell of the twice a year parts purge they do. Small stuff goes back to the US warehouse for credit. For the big stuff, fenders, hoods, etc, the district rep witnesses while the shop goon squad folds, hammers, mangles them and into the dumpster they go..... :(:mad:

There is some NOS to be found as well as some aftermarket for gen 2 and newer (EA82) I can provide some links.

http://www.3wave.com/arp/SUB.HTM#259

http://www.streetscene.com/clearance.html

One place had 3 gen one fenders that they boughtin 2001, sold them out just a few months ago ($16.00 ea)

Just keep as many spares on hand as possible, keep em out of the crusher, network with others with the disease and we'll all maintain.

On the Impreza note: I love my 03 2.5 TS. With very minor bolt ons, (rsb, wheels, decent tires, springs) it handles like a dream. Very competative autocross car, fun to drive, and looks cool. New gen subarus are not the darkside, as long as you don't forget the roots. I see these posts on NASIOC by 17 year old kids that are modding their WRX and asking if anyone has seen a "Subaru Brat" referring to it as an old school BAJA... :confused: and I think, these guys should drive hondas.....

garner

i hate the kids that rice out their subies

i go to school with a guy that drives a brand new wrx and says that its just his beater car. his real car, the one he is dumping money into is like a 1989 honda crx. i almost cried when he said that he didnt really like the subaru. id give my left nut if my parents bought me a wrx for a beater car.

on a side note, does any one know how to keep rust from spreading when you cant get to the spot its in. like in the frame rail looking section that gets covered by side skirts,

on a side note, does any one know how to keep rust from spreading when you cant get to the spot its in. like in the frame rail looking section that gets covered by side skirts,

the best thing is to sandblast what ever you can and get some sort of rust neatralizing primer on there. Locktight makes some stuff that I can't remember the name of right now that I've had good luck with. You have to get any flakes and scale off, paint this stuff on and it chemically neutralizes the rust, turning it into a paintable surface. Undercoating over that makes it pretty well sealed...I'll be doing lots of this on the Brat.....

garner

the best thing is to sandblast what ever you can and get some sort of rust neatralizing primer on there. Locktight makes some stuff that I can't remember the name of right now that I've had good luck with. You have to get any flakes and scale off, paint this stuff on and it chemically neutralizes the rust, turning it into a paintable surface. Undercoating over that makes it pretty well sealed...I'll be doing lots of this on the Brat.....

garner

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder

What is this "rust" you speak of? In Oregon, we have nothing like this.... :lol:

GD

Rick-

Count your blessings. The splash guard behind the rear drums, and of course the rocker panels etc just go to hell with the salt on the winter roads here. I have my car "hot oiled" once a year. They probably don't allow this in Oregon, but here, the first time you go, the guy literally drills holes in all the doors and rear gate compartments, sprays inside with hot oil, and puts plastic plugs in the holes till you bring the car back for another treatment. With this, and the decent new paint job that the Vo-Tech boys did and my fourteen year old looks very good.

The guy also coats the entire car underneath.

It is to rust what chemo and radiation are to cancer. Slows it down, but probably won't prevent the inevitable.

Hey SUBYRALLY, i just crushed three crx's. in hopes to make you feel better, i even was mad at one for blowing a tire on my trailer so i jumped up and down all over the top of the car. bashed out the windows, and the crusher said that glass that fell on the gound is money out of your pockets, i said it was well worth it.

Hey SUBYRALLY, i just crushed three crx's. in hopes to make you feel better, i even was mad at one for blowing a tire on my trailer so i jumped up and down all over the top of the car. bashed out the windows, and the crusher said that glass that fell on the gound is money out of your pockets, i said it was well worth it.

You go 78turbobrat!!! Destroy all Hondas!!! :headbang:

I feel your pain. The asking of why am I doing this. My XT6 KEEPS being down for one reason or another. Now, it's simply the brake calipers but still. What did I do yesterday? I picked up a 4th car....another XT6 but this time AWD. I'm in LOVE. :burnout:

It's got more problems than my other car but it drives. *sniffle* Good luck with your insanity. I'm screwed! :rolleyes: *Whips out straight-jacket*

Hey guys, if'n you'd watch the board alittle closer, you'd have seen that about a month ago, someone posted here, they are going to be making fiberglass replacement body parts for Gen I-III's. Granted they aren't steel, but they look and function just same, and at the same time are lighter. Heck, if'n you guys really want it bad enough, and are willing to put down the cash for new JDM fenders, you could prolly talk this guy into making some snazzy carbon fiber body parts for ya. But then again, I'm prolly p***in into the wind here, cause who the heck would buy fiberglass body parts, if'n you hit a tree they break, yada-yada-yada.....

Yeah and they only needed very minor work maybe a half hour on each of them. i would like to get some fiberglass stuff for my brat, but i dont know just yet. as i still know where about 4 gen 1 brats are, but cant get ahold of the owners, 2 in segoville and 2 in longveiw. i keep trying to get ahold of the guys but no luck yet.

man just reading thins makes me think at least you guys are lucky enough to have replacement parts still.... yeah sure I can get mechanical and other various things still but there is little that is out there from subaru for my 76 in fact I went into the dealership once to see about a e-brake cable cause I am missing one and no aftermarket company makes them (unless I call Locar for them to custom make one for me) and they found one and it was the last one on earth and 120 bucks or so to get it! and as for hood, fenders, bumpers, fuel-door (still don't have one on the 76 yet), taillights, and stuff of that nature unless I make them out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, or kevlar or the mixture of the three I am screwed if they get destroyed cause can't find them at all.

Luckily lately I have been doing some searching and have found some aftermarket stuff but they are intended for Datsun Z's but they are the same exact part as I have been wanting for the 76.

so just think of it this way at least you have parts sources still and just think of skunkaroo and I with the Gen 1 Stage 1 rigs that have no access unlike alot of you guys out there.

Id be all about some fiberglass fenders for my wagon. Im not gonna be hittin up no trees....but wind and rain...sun...and...well, people's eyes!

Remember...im going for all out performance and looks come second...so, imin for those fenders....if the price is right.