Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok I know this point has been discussed before. But I need a good single thread consensus.

I am getting ready to change mine and I am trying to decide what to run. I was told by redline to use 75W90NS, not MT-90. I have heard great thinks about Catrol something, but we cannot get this in the united states correct?

Does anyone have any insight for me??

Thanks

Guest jclay

Castrol TAF-X, Setright swears by it. I think someone found it here in the states under a different name. A search for the thread "Redline MT 90?" should fill you in.

Okay, okay! So, I really like Castrol TAF-X :-)

Statside, it's called "Syntorq".

Just to refresh, I have tried RedlineNS, and it's not the worst for actual quality, but it breaks down way too fast. Castrol TAF/Syntorq has improved with age.

Okay, okay! So, I really like Castrol TAF-X :-)

Statside, it's called "Syntorq".

Just to refresh, I have tried RedlineNS, and it's not the worst for actual quality, but it breaks down way too fast. Castrol TAF/Syntorq has improved with age.

Ok got this info Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."

So Syntorq is still not the correct spec for a AWD Subaru Transmission. Subaru calls for GL-5. I was told that running GL-4 in your AWD Subaru tranny will hurt the front differential. If I was going to run GL-4 I would get Redline MT-90 which is same specs as the Syntorq and readily available, and works great in all manual transmissions that I have run it in.

Back to square one! :banghead:

Ok got this info Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."

BTW I just called the local chevy dealership, $29.93 per quart! :eek:

Mainly based on feel. SOund too. TAF-X allows quickish shifts without KERR-unch!

Well after much research I found out that TAF-X, (Syntorq here in the states) is GL-4. So after reading so much good about it from Setright I was going to run it but I could not stomach the $130.00 it would cost. ($30 per quart plus tax) :banghead:

So I have had very good luck on other vehicles with Redline MT-90 which is a GL4 tranny fluid. I put some in on Saturday and have driven well over 200 miles since then and it is awesome!! Plus it is only $7 per quart!!!

Finally crunch less up and downshifts in my wagon!!! :banana: