Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo chimney... stock on EA-82t?

i need one of those for when i get my td04, ill put it with its own vent or small scoop, maybe do it like all the ricers and have vents on the sides in the fenders. hmmmm, you gave my an idea, owww, my wallet. i just had a brain storm, that explains the burned smell.

the cooler, the more efficient. heat causes metal to crack, oil to go bad faster, hoses to die faster, etc. everything will last longer

the exhaust side of the turbo is where most of the heat is, thats why only that side is being cooled, if they were both encased in that chimney, more of that heat would probably find its way to the charge side, potentially causing problems (ie less power, knocking)

does this help?

Contrary to what many believe, the "chimney" is there to remove heat from under the hood. Yes, at high speed some air will come down and cool the turbo. But the primary purpose is to vent the hot air surrounding the turbo out from under the hood, at low speeds and stop and go driving.

Mark,

WJM that is what I saw first too, do you know if ALL XT's had this or only foreign xt's had this, that would be cool to have, move O2 sensor there and easily plum in an Exhaste Gas temp into the old O2 sensor location.

leave your o2 where it is and put the egt under the turbo

unless of course you like having your o2 readings thrown off by the backpressure from the turbo.. besides egt's are better off closer to the motor anyways

but thats just from what i have read so i may be wrong on everything :)