Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compression Tests and the delta cams

Is it possible to test the compression with the engine on the stand?

Also, what have other people seen compression wise running the delta cams? Seems like it should be the same as stock, yeah?

i would say you could test it on a stand, you might have to turn the motor over by hand, but you should still be able to do it.... as for the delta cams, they wont change compression, just valve timing and duration, things like that.....

I don't think it will be possible to spin the motor fast enough to get an accurate compression reading. However, I do believe the heads can be pressure tested off the block, if necessary.

If you have done a complete teardown, and replaced the cam with an aftermarket, your compression could very well change, but I wouldn't expect it to be significant. Unless other internals were replaced/modified, you will not benefit greatly from running a "hot" cam.

good luck, John

Guest taprackready

IF you set the engine up like on a dyno meaning you can hook up a starter to it then ya sure you can do a compression test on it.

Bill

Most of the guys I go to the sand with use VW engines and transaxles, with the starter on the tranny just like a soob. They took a blown tranny and used a sawzall to remove the front of it with the starter. That way you could drill holes so you can bolt in on an engine stand.

Is it possible to test the compression with the engine on the stand?

Also, what have other people seen compression wise running the delta cams? Seems like it should be the same as stock, yeah?

Sure you can test compression on a stand as long as you use the starter.

If you have installed increased duration camshafts w/no other mods,you will have a lower gauge reading because of the decreased dynamic compression ratio.

Significantly increased duration requires increasing the static compression ratio to maintain a reasonable dynamic ratio and compression gauge reading for good low RPM operation.

Steven (Pleiades) and I tried to compression test an engine on a stand...ironically it also featured delta cams. No luck really....couldnt get over 30 psi out of any cylinder.... :-\

30 psi? YIKES! How did it run?

You guys should read this Pontaic based discussion of

cam selection/installation and compression gauge readings:

http://www.thepontiactransampage.com/engineblueprint.html

I checked the compression ratios on all four cylinders on my EA82T with the 260 grind cam. All were about 85lbs. Naru could you explain the terms in a more simplistic way? I'm not proud.

Jay

Sure, but they say it better:

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/more_myths1/comp_ratio/comp_ratio2.htm

http://www.kennedysdynotune.com/Dynamic%20Compression%20Tech.htm

http://webpages.charter.net/darrell1/dynamiccr.htm

Did you have the valves reseated? I was pondering mine and the low compression.

How about this. If the valves were resurfaced in the seat, couldn't the valves be taller because they are seated deeper into the head? Would that make then open earlier and close later resulting in the lower compression?

When I checked my heads for problems the first go round, I took them off and remounted the cam towers with the cams and everything in place. I filled the intake and exhaust chambers independantly with alcohol and found no leaks until I turned the cams over duplicating normal operation. Because I didn't have a baseline, they looked good to me and I put it all back together.

My RX is pretty quick over 2700, but anything before that would be considered wanting.(low compression?)

Pulls hard up to redline and seems to still have more. factory boost.

Jay

Tex, how did you come to the conclusion you needed to pull the engine again? Idle issues?

Sorry, but I have to disagree about getting an accurate compression reading on the bench.

In practice, you'll need the engine running at normal operating temp to assess its true ability to build and "hold" pressure. This is the true test of whether the motor is solid in terms of compression.

Sure it's possible to pressurize a motor on a bench (or in the car for that matter) but this is not a very reliable method. The readings will not be very useful, unless you want to establish a "no pressure" condition. Even something like a weak battery can throw your results off in a major way.

You can try it, but don't draw any firm conlusions from your readings. I will say that consistantly high readings would probably be a good sign, though low compression is not necessarily bad.

good luck, John

Sorry, but I have to disagree about getting an accurate compression reading on the bench.

In practice, you'll need the engine running at normal operating temp to assess its true ability to build and "hold" pressure. This is the true test of whether the motor is solid in terms of compression.

Sure it's possible to pressurize a motor on a bench (or in the car for that matter) but this is not a very reliable method. The readings will not be very useful, unless you want to establish a "no pressure" condition. Even something like a weak battery can throw your results off in a major way.

You can try it, but don't draw any firm conlusions from your readings. I will say that consistantly high readings would probably be a good sign, though low compression is not necessarily bad.

good luck, John

In theory yes,in practice no.Have you ever compression tested a subaru engine hot and cold? VERY little difference.

The question was whether different cams could affect compression gauge readings. The answer is yes.

To see how much, a cold test should be compared to a cold one and hot to hot w/the cams as the only variable.

"no pressure condition" Huh? Whazat?

A weak battery will affect results hot or cold, in or out of

the car.As long as you have consistent cranking rpm you`re OK.FSM suggests 250-350 rpm w/corresponding pressure variations.

High lift cams will to a degree affect compression. Not much mind bit they can. What effects compression is decking heads, changing pistons, even the type of rings used can effect it. What may have happened is a burnt valve. Increasing boost without increasing fuel pressure will result in a lean condition. To much pressure could also result in broken or burnt rings.

I feel it still should have started with low compression in only one cylinder.

Where are you going to take the parts for inspection? Make sure to tell them all the mods you have done so they can make understand the conditions and causes better.

In theory yes,in practice no.Have you ever compression tested a subaru engine hot and cold? VERY little difference.

Yep, owned quite a few of them, and done it many times. As I said, consistantly high readings would indicate an exceptionally strong motor. Inconsistant/low readings would suggest a motor with wear - maybe significant wear.

In practice, temp does make a difference if you want accurate readings . If you don't believe me, check your FSM. Checking compression after warming your engine is standard practice.

"no pressure condition" Huh? Whazat?

How about a blown head gasket? Ever hear of one of those? Or perhaps a cracked head. The guage would read "0" PSI. This means no pressure on that cylinder. A "no pressure condition". Get it??

A weak battery will affect results hot or cold, in or out of

the car.As long as you have consistent cranking rpm you`re OK.FSM suggests 250-350 rpm w/corresponding pressure variations.

Yeah, exactly. Problem is {as explained above} cranking for a few seconds, even with a fully charged batt, is not equivalent to normal operating conditions.

Not trying to start an argument here. If you feel comfortable with your method, good luck. I'm just sharing my own experiences, and recommending only what I would do on my own car.

John