Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Outback LL Bean EZ30D Camshaft Sensor Question

I have a question about getting a sensor checked.  This is kind of a long story, I will try to be as brief as possible.

I have a 2002 Outback LL Bean EZ30D.  I’ve got an intermittent issue with the camshaft position sensor or circuit.  Every so often, the check engine light will come on, then soon after it will stumble and die and coast to a halt.  I can sit there for a while and it will start up and drive again.  It will eventually happen again, sometimes months and hundreds of miles later, the last time it was minutes and five miles later.  I towed it home because I was on a sketchy road and it’s been in my driveway since.  Of course, it’s running fine now.

The code is P0340, I purchased a new OEM camshaft position sensor from the Subaru dealer.  I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the FSM, and (as expected) all the tests were good.  As expected because the car was running fine at the time.  So I installed the new sensor and it’s been running fine for 2 or 3 hundred miles or so.

So here is my question.  The troubleshooting procedure tells you to test the wafeform of the camshaft position sensor with an oscilloscope.  I don’t have an oscilloscope, or know anyone who does.  Is there anywhere I can send or take the sensor to (PNW) and have it tested for a fair price?  Would this be a common request?

May seem like overkill, but I don’t want the problem to reoccur at 75 MPH on the interstate, or at some other extremely inconvenient or dangerous time.  I’m not going to feel truly comfortable trusting the vehicle until I can figure out the cause with more certainty.

Thanks!

I appreciate the response.

I get that it could be a problem with the wires or plugs, that's why I want to be able to test the sensor in accordance with the FSM.  I have already done all I can to test the wires and plugs.  If I can test the sensor and it tests bad, I'll be feeling pretty good.  If the sensor tests good, I'll be feeling pretty bad, in that I will know that I probably have an intermittent problem with the wires or plugs.

Thanks again.