Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Digital dash Q's TURBONE SPEAK UP!

:confused: Well I found a donar car with digi dash for 50.00 hope it works? well j/y man say could be prob cause mines a turbo, donar car a non turbo. My thought was maybe just turbo light wont work or some thing stupid like that. My real concern is Speedo, gas gauge and if I'm lucky the tach. I couldn't care less if turbo light or other idiot light doesn't work. thoughts on this? what about it Turbone? you seem to know quite a bit about these digi dash scenarios? :-\

well, the dash is commonly but not exclusively caused to go bad by a poor charging system. make sure your alternator and battery and battery cables are all up to snuff. check the main ground wires and add a few. your digidash will thank you by working properly :D

I agree to that, I 've swapped a few alts into it already, but I believe theres no hope for the one presently in the car, dash that is. I want to know the truth behind turbo/non-turbo digi dash swapping. This is the only dash I've been able to locate and would like to fix the issue, I'm getting close to preparing my mind for a anolog swap, should be able to get the necessary parts, but if this dash I found is good and will swap, I'd rather do that.

It should still work. I suspect you will find the connectors to be the same, but if you look close a couple wires may be missing from the non-turbo unit.

On an interesting note, I had the alt go bad on my wagon (too much mud for it), and what I noticed (other than the really, really loud bearings) was that the dash didn't complain very loudly about the horribly out of spec voltage it was seeing. I had occasion to swap that alternator into my Brat who's analog cluster lit up like the 4th of July when it saw the 20 volts of DC and AC mix comming from that alt. The Digi-dash suffered no injury, but the interesting thing to note is that I would have had nearly no indication of the over-voltage condition until it was too late if not for the alt bearings making a nasty racket. The dash gave very little indication that anything was amis. I think the digi's are actually pretty decent, and can take a lot, but their downfall is that they are too accomidating.... if they warned you sooner it wouldn't be a problem. The idiot light bar on mine glowed very faintly with the over-voltage, but it was hard to see.... I had to put my hand up to the dash and look very close to see the faint glow.

Moral of the story is you should install a voltage guage so you can monitor the DC (and preferably the AC too) output from the alt.

GD

with all the alts I've swapped, that was /and has been a concern of mine. I put the multi meter on them at swap time, all but one running 18-19 volts, correct me if I'm wrong but thats too much! mind you these were all donars and not new ones, isn't normal voltage on an alt to be around 14-16 at best? The dash also gave that ever irritating high pitched squeal or whistle on all the alts that have been swapped in. :mad:

The Turbo digidashes are actually hard to find. I've swapped out a couple of non-turbo's in my T-Coupe, and they have worked fine. Its just the turbo light in them that makes them different. Anything over 14v is not good for any system. Keep it there for long enough and serious problems will occur.

The whistle from your dash is supposed to be a warning of bad juju from the alt. If you have nothing on your dash and its still whistling Dixie, its gone.

But there is hope! I have a aircraft electronics tech working on repairing bad dashes, hopefully soon there will be some available for everyone. They will be upgraded also, so that instead of burning up internals, it will just trip a breaker or fuse.

If you get this JY dash, make sure you can return it if its bad. If not, shoot it my way and it will be put on the repair bench. I just bought one a few months ago, but for the life of me, I cant remember what I paid for it :banghead: It was cheaper than $50 tho.

well the dash is such an easy swap that I'm planning on pulling and swappin right there in j/y to show the guy if it works or not, then if not I'll see if he'll just give it to me, Has any one ever tried Dakota Digital out of South Dakota. They make all those custom Dashes for hotrods and also the big score boards at the major stadiums, I thought about calling and seeing if they could offer some insight or actually do a repair.