Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT!

l75eya

Posted (edited)

I mean, it's a truck; 

SLzCSs2.jpeg

8.5" Chevy 10 bolt rear, two FWD ea 5 speeds, one D/R ea 5 speed, 2 axles (think they're ej rears) an ej25 intake manifold, and a 97 Impreza L rear differential = Carolina squat BRAT. 

1gCo6Rf.jpeg

What's that, maybe 700lbs? 500? I don't know but it's definitely the most I've put back there yet. 

I need to look at the rear brakes. Noises. 

I'm going to have to come up with some type of quick disconnect to mount the seats in the back. They're a little annoying when you're trying to load stuff, would be way more ideal if they were easily removable. 

I would also like to fit some type of bench seat setup in the cab, maybe from an old Nissan hard body or a Mazda or something. Would be nice to be able to squeeze 3 people in the cab on occasion if the need is there. 

#dreams 

Put a good 400 miles on it over the course of 2 days last weekend. Averages 29 mpg on the highway super consistently. 

1Mi5X1j.jpeg

It'll do 90 which is about where it is here (via GPS) noticed the speedo gets inaccurate about at about 75 maybe they never thought it would be there 🤣🤣

It's way happier cruising in the 70-75 mph range, that seems to be a good happy spot for it. Anything over 3500 rpm is a bit excessive. 

There's been a heat wave here in the northeast and I gotta say cruising on the highway with the sliding window open, the t tops out, and the windows down with the music cranked is pretty awesome. 

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Did more truck stuff. 

L8pA0Iv.jpeg

Found some first Gen stuff: 

Carpet (washing it here)

FHBHAPd.jpeg

Seats (little man helped me clean these up, they didn't need much!)

SEqq1UI.jpeg

Hacked the seats into the car, first. I say hacked because unbeknownst to me the rails mount over an inch closer together on the 1st Gen seats than the are in the 2nd gens. 

Also because the person I got the seats from had two sets of these and both of the drivers seats were torn but the passenger seats were equally immaculate. So I bought both passenger seats and dealt with the issue of mounting a passenger seat on the driver's side when the time came. 🤷‍♂️ Don't think they look too shabby

GIXdmCk.jpeg

The old carpet was pretty much toast so naturally I did everything rump roast backwards and hacked in the 1st Gen carpet AFTER I already hacked in the seats, which meant I had to take the seats out again. 🤫

I say hack in because absolutely nothing about the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen carpet is the same. 

UVJGXOx.jpeg

But I got that sh** in there and, again, if I do say so myself, it ain't looking so bad methinks

8S2YtCl.jpeg

b414kFu.jpeg

I gotta point something out here

That seat right there 👆🏿? That's the absolute most comfortable (bucket) seat I have ever sat in. It's incredible. Couldn't be happier and a hell of an improvement over the blown out OG seats that came with it or the equally blown out (but less duck-taped) legacy seats the previous owner had put in it. 

Also got a set of Jackmans but I gotta clean them up. Do they fit on 2nd gens? Hope so! Nothing else has lol 

In other news the vacuum advance line keeps on falling off and the gas tank has started leaking when I fill it up 💪🏿

Thank you all for checking out my thread. Until next time! 

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Look what the BRAT drug home 

zK5h1Zj.jpeg

DOHC EJ25. Free 99. Couldn't pass that up. So, throw it on an engine stand, rip the heads off and throw on a set of EJ22 heads? 

Who knows what about frankenmotors? Use single port EJ22 heads? Dual port? Does it matter? I'll have to do some homework but maybe that engine will make it's way into the brat 🤔

Boxerfest was in my area! Loaded the family into the Legacy wagon (rooftop carrier and all) and I hopped into the brat and we headed out! Met up with the guy I sold my old Impreza to (I really liked that car!) and he had his super rare JDM WRX out too! 

This is the only picture I got of my old black Impreza and his WRX 

obSNBwW.jpeg

The line to the entrance gate: 

R90bhhN.jpeg

HZqP3kK.jpeg

Got to park the brat in the OFF-ROAD parking area (it seems like it was an area that was supposed to have more overland style rigs).

I only saw one other BRAT there! 

I bought a pass to run the BRAT on the Dyno but unfortunately I ran out of time and had to leave before I could have it make any pulls. 

☹️

XQOM3eW.jpeg

Saw a real GRAVEL EXPRESS! I don't know if those are the wheels they came with but those are the same ones I have on my legacy! 

5A64nbM.jpeg

6VIa7Yz.jpeg

t5tgQIw.jpeg

aOB5M3N.jpeg

Also got to see Travis Pastrana absolutely whip the "family huckster" around the autocross track. This vehicle is absolutely bonkers. 

t5IfMPH.jpegJl5UWRj.jpegRaEntUf.jpegxikv17S.jpegrSBCMXS.jpeg

Love the active aero on this thing and that they used the old school Subaru logo on there 👍🏻

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, moosens said:

Anything older than gen two there ? 

The only things there earlier than the brats (87 and 85) were a 68 360 car and a 70 360 van, neither of which I got photos of I don't think. 

Also Travis Pastrana's wagon started life as an 83 GL I think, does that count? Haha

• 4 weeks later...

ECL5uJO.jpeg

She tows! Not a truck? Ppdffffffttttt!

Also, that cavalier was friggin MINT. 36K miles, white interior in perfect shape, even had the little cavalier cassette in the glove box with all the other original documentation. 

• Like 1