Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AHHH Brat is making me mad *UPDATE!!*

Well I dropped the other 1600 into my Brat (the pretty blue one from my wagon). I did a full reseal job, adjusted valves, new waterpump, rebuilt oil pump, new Holley 5200 from a 2.3 Pinto, electronic disty from an '83 EA81 2wd and new pushrods cause one as bent when I did the reseal. So I get it all bolted in and lookin good, a few minor odd-n-ends that I had to buy (bolts for the carb, hoses and little stuff) and I set the timing to 8 BTDC and drop the disty in to set the static timing. I get the everything hooked up like it should and I'm think "Dang this is lookin GOOD!!!!!". I jump in and crank her over and it starts backfiring through the exhaust and it was backfiring through the carb. My first thought was "Hmmm the timing is off". I get out and fiddle with the timing and well long story short, I screwed with the timing and I FINALLY got it to start but it had the sound of running on just two cylinders......I messed with the timing some more and it still backfires through both the carb and the exhaust. What did I do wrong?!?!?!?! I haven't fired this motor up since I did all the work stated in the first two sentences above so did I do something wrong?? I need help with this cause this is my daily driver and I am currently getting rides to work from friends...HELP????

ok so I checked the firing order that Andrew told me and he was wrong by two wires (he got two switched). So now it runs but I have to fix the throttle linkage and it also seems to have a knock to it. I'm thinking it might be my valves in need of readjustment but also my oil light is on......I put the right amount of oil in it and the oil pressure sending unit it hooked up but I'm thinking the sending unit might be bad:(

you need to adjust the valves AFTER you rebuild the engine :grin:

check the oil pressure sending unit with an ohmmeter, the tool that measures resistance

install a mechanical oil pressure guage, and skip the step above^

install new 15W40 oil, and a new filter and drain plug gasket after breakin

it is also good to make sure you have the correct NGK sparkplugs bpr6es-11

If you had the oil pump off, I would have it off again and make sure it's properly sealed, and the o-rings aren't buggered.

Since the engine had no oil in it, you should remove the spark plugs, and fast-crank it till the oil pressure registers on the guage..... this ensures both that the oil pump is working, and that the guage system is also working. It's not wise to start an engine without oil. That could be the end of it - and possibly the source of your "knock". Chewed up bearings can happen quick without oil.

GD

well I checked the sending unit with my ohm meter and it was bad so I replaced it with the old one off the other motor and so no more oil light. I never rebuilt this motor, I just tore it down to the shortblock and did a reseal on it with rebuilding the heads. Before I put the valve covers back on it, I adjusted the valves but I wasn't very confident since I asked Andrew to help cause I had never done it and it was before I had any sort of manual. The noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side head on the #3 cylinder. It doesn't quite sound like a rod knock but I have never heard a rod knock in one of these motors before so I could be wrong....I'm almost positive its the valves clattering because it almost seems like it is too slow to be a rod knock.....So I'm gonna go adjust my valves again with my FSM, a couple wrenches and some feeler gauges:D

Well I readjusted my valves and well.........I'm a little pissed off right now because the thrust washer inside the shortblock on the crank is shot thus creating a rod knock. So my pretty blue motor I spent a lot of time on is a pile of garbage. So I have another motor on its way tomorrow that I am trading my old Brat motor for (this motor is supposed to have only 35k on it!!!) I then get to put a couple bolts back on it, fix the broken bolts that hold the intake on (or just bolt my rebuilt heads on), paint it up, drop on my Weber, and make sure everything is good to go and drop it right on it and get it running:cool:

well I got the "new" motor today from Jason. I've been prepping it for paint and stripping the other blue motor that has the shot thrust bearing in it. This new motor I think might be a JDM motor but I'm not sure yet. Its gonna become another pretty Ford Dark Blue motor just like the other one. Well I best be gettin back to cleaning it and getting it ready to drop in tomorrow and pull the blue motor back out:-\