Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant leak under throttle body 1996 2.2 impreza wagon

I can barley see the spray. Looks hard to access. Any advice how to replace that little 6mm ish size hose? It looks like it come down from a little straight barbed fitting. I tried a search but after 5 pages, my eyes starting to get heavy. Any other little nuisance leaks or known problems, like this I should also be addressing?

Sounds like the coolant hoses coming in and out of the throttle body right?  There are two hoses, one goes into the block you might be able to reach with long needle nose pliers.  The other goes into the coolant crossover pipe, unfortunately that's directly below and behind the throttle body.  You'll have to remove the throttle body and dig close to the center of the block to replace it.  Get a spare gasket on hand before you do this, sometimes the old one rips when you disassemble. They're reusable if it comes out in one piece.

Don't go crazy on torquing the bolts back on, the soft aluminum threads tend to strip.

• Thanks 1

nvu, thank you!!!  but can I access everything with only the throttle body removed? That would be much easier.  Or does the entire intake need removed? Are the hoses special? Any forms or bends?

the hoses are formed, but you could get away with whatever is closest to its shape.  take your phone and peek around down there.  you should see this thing. 

96-99 Subadu Forester Ej25d Coolant Crossover Pipe Water Tube Hose Impreza - Picture 1 of 7

that's where the hose comes from.  it's deep down in there.  removing the intake is the recommended way, but why not try the throttle body first, it's just 4 bolts

Needle nose pliers should work w/o removing anything.

That picture only shows the source of one hose,

There is one more from the bypass tube from the water pump that sits alongside the crossover,

The tubes have a tendency to rust at the bends.

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/371494803501.pngSee: Subaru IMPREZA — Subaru parts catalog (opposedforces.com)

• Thanks 1

Not sure how cold it gets in MD, but in north ID (below 0° F in winter on occasion), I've had no issues bypassing the hoses that go to the TB/throttle body. My understanding is those help warm the TB in colder weather.

"the compromise is the chance of a stuck throttle when, say coming off the highway after a long drive in arctic conditions"

just connected the two that go to the TB with a splice or cap them off if easier. 

Also, I've never had to replace a TB gasket in the many times I've removed the TB - do it carefully and it hasn't ripped/torn in my experience. 

If you remove the locking nuts to hold the throttle/cruise cables to the TB note the cables' location b4 removal - or your idle may be off.