Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In Australia we call these “cargo barriers” - but they’re usually symmetrical left to right, unlike that one you’ve got in the image. 

I can’t even imagine what model vehicle that would fit! Could it be a custom job? How did you end up with it? 

Cheers 

Bennie

Posted (edited)

I dunno what the actual name is - around here we call it a dog gate because non-dog cargo doesn't usually try to climb over the seat.  Perhaps your dogs are better behaved and act more like cargo.

Certain that it's not custom - you can see the Subaru logo just behind that right wall hanger.

The thing that would seem to make sense is that it's for a Forester, because that would account for the asymmetry.  Up here, at least, they have a seat belt (shoulder restraint, I guess) on a retractor in the ceiling near the rear door (on the passenger side - that's the right side in these parts, Oz!).  Yet it doesn't fit any of the Foresters we've had - at least, I think we tried it in all those we had from '99-'02.

And I think someone on freecycle gave it to us or something.

Edited by jonathan909

Posted (edited)

Looks like 00-04 Legacy/obk wagon w/o sunroof.

I found this old listing for a w/sunroof version, which looks almost identical except the bump in the middle section isn't quite as tall (which would make sense as the sunroof headliner is lower).

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/sold-subaru-outback-limited-2000-2004-dog-gate-compartment-barrier.527261/

PS, Subaru calls them a Dog Guard

Edited by Numbchux

Interesting that yours are called a dog gate and ours a cargo barrier. 

Ours are typically full length floor to ceiling, some are half mesh but still a full frame - this allows the back seats to be folded down for the extra space of carrying something longer than normal. 

For the middle seat’s lap-sash seatbelt there’s a little opening in the mesh with a plastic fitting for the seatbelt to pass through. 

https://www.subaru.com.au/forester/accessories/cargo-&-tow/forester-cargo-barrier 

^ that’s our version over here of your dog gate. It’s designed for/main purpose is preventing injuries or death from flying objects that were in the cargo area in the event of a crash. The straps that secure them in tend to have a ripples section to help absorb the energy of any potential flying objects while retaining the mount to the body.

They’re also handy for filling your cargo space to the brim and not have it over flowing into the rear seat. 

As you can see in that link provided, the odd shape of yours really threw me and didn’t make any sense going by my knowledge of cargo barriers. There are several aftermarket manufacturers of them for various models too. No doubt produced in China though… 

Cheers 

Bennie

Posted (edited)

Not half as strange as us driving on the right side of the road, when every other (former) British colony, member of the Commonwealth, etc., drives on the left.

Go figure.

Though what would be really weird would be having to switch sides at the border when crossing to/from the US...

Edited by jonathan909

On 6/6/2024 at 12:47 PM, jonathan909 said:

Since I happen to have a pair of '01 H6 OBWs I'm going to give that (another) look, though I'm pretty sure I tried it there.

Those will have a sunroof. I don't believe it'll fit.