Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of upgrading from my Hyundai DM-2017 LWB to an Ascent

now that they have been around a while and hopefully most if not all 

of the bugs have been worked out.

Any years to avoid?

All the kinks worked out of the CVT (no other option, correct)?

Any major issues in this model?

Thanks

Yes CVT only.

Make sure all the recalls are done when you get one.

You can add a Subaru extended warranty to any Subaru still under the factory warranty. I’m just not sure if a second owner can if you buy it used. If you can do that as a second owner, another option is to buy one still under original factory warranty and add the extended Subaru warranty.  It used to be relatively inexpensive for 100k or even 120k warranty so it was a great deal for some folks.  

Subaru did I think start limiting dealers from selling the warranty for cars not sold at their dealer. You used to be able to buy the car in New York then call a dealer in Texas to add the warranty. I don’t think you can do that now and so your pricing may be worse or depending on local dealer. It is negotiable in price though so you can google what others have paid. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2024 at 8:16 AM, idosubaru said:

Yes CVT only.

Make sure all the recalls are done when you get one.

You can add a Subaru extended warranty to any Subaru still under the factory warranty. I’m just not sure if a second owner can if you buy it used. If you can do that as a second owner, another option is to buy one still under original factory warranty and add the extended Subaru warranty.  It used to be relatively inexpensive for 100k or even 120k warranty so it was a great deal for some folks.  

Subaru did I think start limiting dealers from selling the warranty for cars not sold at their dealer. You used to be able to buy the car in New York then call a dealer in Texas to add the warranty. I don’t think you can do that now and so your pricing may be worse or depending on local dealer. It is negotiable in price though so you can google what others have paid. 

"Yes CVT only" meaning avoid these?

2 hours ago, bork said:

That's in response to "CVT (no other option, correct)?"

Ascent is only available with a CVT.

They seem to have an issue warping front rotors. The '24s got an extra brace between the 2 caliper mounting bolts that is supposed to help with that, we've retrofitted a few cars under warranty.

As with all FBs, especially the turbo ones. Remove the oil cap and shine a flashlight down in the timing cover. If there's sludge, or the aluminum is stained brown, then oil changes have been neglected. Walk away. You'll be chasing cam actuator problems, these usually end in removing the cam carriers and cleaning out the filters in the high pressure oil ports for said variable valve timing, sometimes it shorts the actuators which fries the ECU.

Still far more reliable than the Hyundai.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2024 at 2:18 PM, bork said:

I was answering your question “(no other options, correct?)”. Yes -  That is correct, CVT is the only option for that model.