Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 water pump (over 5 years old) failing (starting about 3 months ago..) and it's bearings are so worn/gone might make it into the Guiness book!

I replaced it in 11-2019 so I guess I ought a be happy, right? and I probably put on only 25k since then.  The fan will wiggle easily a 1/4 inch.. I can/could still drive it but it sounds bad ..

so I ordered this from Rock Auto cause it was cheap and closest shipping, it's a Dayco - are they "good"?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11201329&cc=1270134&pt=2208&jsn=10922

Edited by Craigar
details..

The pump is only as good as the bearings inside but it may be impossible to find a pump that uses anything but Chinese parts, especially at Rock Auto. If you had an early failure then you might want to also take a look at the fan and fan clutch to be sure they are not contributing any uneven loading to the shaft. 

You’ll need to scan eBay and maybe save the search with notifications for the Atsugi or Paraut. If you spot an older Beck Arnley pump look it over. If it says made in Japan chances are it’s fine. But also watch for more contemporary packaging with Beck and make sure the pump doesn’t say GMB. Some older ones may still exist that are Japanese but beware the ones made elsewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thank You all, didn't have enough free time to hunt down a good Japanese one - and i do have a new looking GMB and it says "GMB Japan SUB13" but it has a stamped impeller so I went ahead with the Chinese Dayco for now. Now I'm going to look up a "simple way" I used to get the tension right on the timing belts that I came up with back in 2018  that seemed to validate the tension with the tools I have - cause the new belts I put in in 2018  seemed to have stretched and I have a 1/2"  (1/4" in each direction) flex without any pressure i.e. I can wiggle it 1/2" inch with very little effort.

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/168064-more-haynes-manuer-says-get-slack-out-of-t-belt-by-putting-18-ft-lbs-torque-ccw-on-cam-sprocket-bolt-impossible/#comment-1392683

Thanks!

Edited by Craigar
details and braino typo's

Aw, shoot, you also ordered a DP-1081 - so did I , wanting the 110mm deck height for V belt

What came had DP-1081-S with the -S highlighted in red permanent marker on the plastic bag.

It may be understood as look out this number is not DP1081, others may take the red mark as removing the -S from part number and DP1081 is inside the clear plastic bag

My DP1081-S measured up as 105mm deck height which I know for our Australian delivered models is only been found by me to be for the 4PK multi rib flat belt of XT

US markets may differ.

Please measure up before fully assemble , if I am not too late.

On 7/4/2024 at 2:18 PM, Craigar said:

Thank You all, didn't have enough free time to hunt down a good Japanese one - and i do have a new looking GMB and it says "GMB Japan SUB13" but it has a stamped impeller so I went ahead with the Chinese Dayco for now. Now I'm going to look up a "simple way" I used to get the tension right on the timing belts that I came up with back in 2018  that seemed to validate the tension with the tools I have - cause the new belts I put in in 2018  seemed to have stretched and I have a 1/2"  (1/4" in each direction) flex without any pressure i.e. I can wiggle it 1/2" inch with very little effort.

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/168064-more-haynes-manuer-says-get-slack-out-of-t-belt-by-putting-18-ft-lbs-torque-ccw-on-cam-sprocket-bolt-impossible/#comment-1392683

Thanks!

On retensioning my timing belts when doing water pump, I did not follow the new belt instructions. I just did it as if doing the service retension through the belt cover bung holes. Undid both bolts of each belt, one side at a time, let the spring of tensioner take up the slack, then nipped up both bolts around 14 ft ell bees