Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finding parts for a replacement engine from Japan?

A friend has a '99 with a replacement engine from Japan. He believes it needs a new oil pump. He's quite sure that this engine requires different parts than the original did, but "engine from Japan" is all the info he has. What am I looking for to identify that engine, and how do I search for parts to help him out?

Nonissue once he realizes he doesn’t need an oil pump. 

There’s no way a JDM EJ has a proprietary Japanese only pump. I’ve installed JDM engines. Don’t think I’ve ever swapped oil pumps on a Japanese motor but plenty of other parts between US and Japan. 

If he’s positive it’s the pump it can be resealed. Tighten the backing plate screws, one very commonly replaced oring, and bolt it back up with new RTV

While it’s out the clearances from the FSM can be measured. I mean no one ever does that but if they’re that concerned about it there’s an option  

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

So far it's parked in a field, because he thinks it's too hard. It really doesn't look any harder than a timing belt, just a couple more steps. I'll see if he wants to open it up. If he does, it'll almost surely need a timing belt, etc. 

All EJ oil pumps are interchangeable. Grab a 9 or 10mm one and slap it on there (decent chance it has 7mm on it).

Engine code stamp under the alternator will tell the displacement. Then identify if it's SOHC or DOHC. VVTi or not, etc.

If it's a 2.5, parts are easy. The only difference is where the brake booster fitting is on the intake manifold (but if the installer was smart, they used the US manifold, so non issue).

2.0 is a little tougher. Have to use 2.0 WRX head gaskets. Pistons and valves will be unique, but pretty rare to need those.