Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hoping for explanation other than clutch

1993 Legacy Sedan 5MT.  Suddenly car won’t move.  Engine runs fine, shifter goes into gear.  Obvious first guess is clutch (not hydraulic), but that was replaced just 10K miles ago, and had no prior signs of trouble.  I would welcome any alternative (hopefully cheaper) explanations.  (Side note: This happened after theft recovery and tow; the tow was on a flat-bed.  Maybe thief didn't know how to drive a stick?)

Edited by quiggs
more detail

I assume that if it’s not hydraulic, it’s a cable. Could the cable be broken? Look at where it attaches to the to the clutch fork, have someone press the clutch pedal and see if the fork moves.

44 minutes ago, 88SubGL said:

I assume that if it’s not hydraulic, it’s a cable. Could the cable be broken? Look at where it attaches to the to the clutch fork, have someone press the clutch pedal and see if the fork moves.

It the cable were broken, then wouldn't the clutch be stuck in engaged mode rather than disengaged mode?

Check if the rear axles popped off.  The rear axles could pop off from the diff but visibly look normal.  Yank on them to find out.

The pedal would be very soft and stick to the floor if the cable was broken.

58 minutes ago, nvu said:

Check if the rear axles popped off.  The rear axles could pop off from the diff but visibly look normal. 

But even if that happened, wouldn't the front wheels still have power?

11 hours ago, quiggs said:

But even if that happened, wouldn't the front wheels still have power?

Nope. Well, at least not easily. It would be super slow at best. 

2nd/3rd/4th gears work? Or do they at least try to move the car once the clutch is actuated? 

The thief may have completely stripped 1st gear. Drain the oil and see what comes out with it. 

If it happens to be dual range like we have over here, it could be in neutral between low and high range. But I doubt you’ve got a dual range gearbox in your EJ Subi stateside… 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

2nd/3rd/4th gears work? Or do they at least try to move the car once the clutch is actuated? 

No gears work - not even the smallest nudge.  The feeling in my hand on the gear shift knob is that I've gotten it into the gear, but I guess I can't even be sure of that.  Also the action of the clutch pedal feels normal (in terms of travel and resistance).

Remove the starter motor hand have a look at the clutch pressure plate for signs of damage. 

Im guessing there’s no noises when gear is selected and the clutch released? 

Also not asked yet, what brand of clutch was put in 10,000 miles ago? 

It’s certainly an odd one! 

Cheers 

Bennie