Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about transmission swap

ShaunSolo

Long story short, I need a transmission in my 2020 crosstrek premium that's out of warranty. Subaru of America can't help. My sister is paying and doesn't want to go through the dealership. They quoted $9200, but she wants to pull from a salvaged car, go through a local transmission place and spend $2k-3k. I'm aware of all the potential issues with that plan so I would like to mitigate them as much as possible. 

Is there a way to ensure that the transmission we buy (probably through ebay at this point) will actually work properly with the car? I looked up the part number through Subaru and a quick search found nothing but new for ~$8000. Most listings just give year ranges for the Crosstrek. Will any transmission for a 2.0 engine, between 18 and 21 actually work with my 2020 or is there something else I need to look for? That's the main question I think I have. 

The shop I'm taking it to apparently has experience with cvts so I guess I'm okay on that front. Is there anything I'm overlooking? Thanks in advance!