Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale - Bad Oil Leak?

Hey guys. 

During my drive home yesterday I noticed some smoke coming from under the hood.  Looks like something is spitting oil/grease all over my exhaust and axle on the passenger side of my engine.  I took some pictures.  I cant seem to figure out where its coming from.  The engine doesn't appear to be low on oil at all.  The valve cover gasket doesn't appear to be leaking.  The engine is pretty dry and clean everywhere aside from that big mess.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you all

IMG_3019.jpg

Looks like the CV boot is cracked and slinging grease. Clear signs of it slinging out.

How old is the axle?  Theres a very small chance it could be old grease we are seeing. Check the axle boot for cracking. Or give us closer pictures of the ribs/convolutions so we can look for a crack. If it is, Reboot or replace the axle. 

• Like 2

Thanks all! 100% ended up being grease from the cv boot.  I couldnt notice any cracks but did a deeper dive and thats for sure the culprit.  Gonna dive into it later this week.  Thanks for the quick follow up and help again everyone.  The subaru car community is the best.

what I have found is these can develop small holes/crack and spit little dollops out, but yours has smeared the grease quite widely, rather than a spray of little dollops. General degreaser does not clean this plastic sort of grease up - wax and grease remover solvent does a good job !  I have not tried methylated spirit or kerosene ....I have found you can repair small holes and cracks in CV boots successfully with silicone, so long as you give it a day or two to cure. My first Subaru came with this sort of repair to a rear boot. I did not have to attend to it in it's 17 years /365,000 km. I found to rough up CV boot with 80 grit, clean with wax and grease remover then the silicon patch. Black is my colour of choice.