Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Gen is my 1981 BRAT

Hello All, 

This is seems like a very odd question, but I'm getting conflicting answers. I purchased a 1981 BRAT last month, Title says 1981, VIN says 1981, but all of my research says a 1981 BRAT is a Gen 2. Mine looks like a Gen 1. See Picture. 

Thank you! 

20240620_174911.jpg

Your 1981 Brat is the last year of the First Generation series as we call them. 

1982 starts a new body - new generation of Brat. 

Yours is very collectible and I hope you enjoy it. 

First year of the dual range coupled to the older transmission. Subaru often does engineering exercises like that at the end of one generation. Then that technology will be standard issue in the next generation. You can look at their history and see many examples. 

That said be sure you know your Brat and enjoy its exceptional status. 

11 hours ago, moosens said:

Your 1981 Brat is the last year of the First Generation series as we call them. 

1982 starts a new body - new generation of Brat. 

Yours is very collectible and I hope you enjoy it. 

First year of the dual range coupled to the older transmission. Subaru often does engineering exercises like that at the end of one generation. Then that technology will be standard issue in the next generation. You can look at their history and see many examples. 

That said be sure you know your Brat and enjoy its exceptional status. 

Thank you, Moosens! 

I wasn't aware this model year was that collectible. I had big plans to EJ swap and 5-lug convert, but I'm assuming that isn't a good idea anymore. Maybe a restoration is in order? 

Early 2.2 can’t go wrong. Keep the body rolling on terms you can deal with. Makes sense to me. 

I have an EJ22 with super low mileage and just acquired a roughly 10?k engine with all the harnesses and management. One or both will end up in my 70’s projects. 

But I’ll run out the engines and maybe step my way up using the smaller and EA engines up first. 

You have fun and show it off. Just don’t scrap the old running gear please. 

5 hours ago, newmexguy said:

Wonder why they never built a Brat off the '85-'94 Box generations.    Probably wouldn't have as been as collectible, though.  

Probably a sign of the times - seems everyone happy buying new Gen2 Brumbies /BRATs with tin rocker cover OHV EA81, to not do a Gen3 ute. A little wider, some better engine and transmission options would have made for a great vehicle !

There were change-over differences happening in Gen1 Brumby, so I guess same in BRAT. I think 1981 saw the EA81 engine, whereas the 1980 was EA71 1600 cc ?

I have some body numbers somewhere for these early beasts.

6 hours ago, Steptoe's photos said:

Probably a sign of the times - seems everyone happy buying new Gen2 Brumbies /BRATs with tin rocker cover OHV EA81, to not do a Gen3 ute. A little wider, some better engine and transmission options would have made for a great vehicle !

There were change-over differences happening in Gen1 Brumby, so I guess same in BRAT. I think 1981 saw the EA81 engine, whereas the 1980 was EA71 1600 cc ?

I have some body numbers somewhere for these early beasts.

I have the ea81 in my 1981. There's no signs that mine has been swapped or anything. The more I learn about the 1981 the more I want to keep it as stock as possible. I've always wanted to EJ turbo swap a BRAT, I've actually been thinking about it for over 10 years. I just don't want to rip apart a car that has a cool place in history. 

Sounds like you’re my kind of vintage Subaru owner. 

That engine is fairy bulletproof. Has the fist - very simple - electronic control fuel system. That is the ECU. But you could always make it as simple and direct as the previous years. Just be aware there is an ECU in that 81 but if is the most primitive and really to tame emissions. 

And I recently saw one for sale on eBay I’m pretty sure. Not that you’d need it. But I’m that guy that if I know the part extends the car’s life and that part is nearly unobtainable I’ll spend the few bucks and shelf stock it. And it would give you one you could open up and re-solder any cracked connections etc. 
On that note folks have bakes the boards to melt and reset the solder. But I’m going off on one item that nobody talks about much. But older electronics you can bet they’ll be failing. Digress now. 

Some of us have parts catalogs. Not sure where they are online or if they are there but try to find the one pertaining to 77-79 cars and that’ll help you immensely. 

Maybe follow my route as I mentioned with my 70’s cars. I’ll try the original engine first. Then bump it up 1600, 1800, EJ22.

Whatever route you take just enjoy it. 

Driving these old cars around can work both ways. Plenty of thumbs up. But also plenty of A holes who think you’re only holding them up. Middle finger ready ? 

I am certain my notes got crossed but seems 1978 had a VIN or body number like A69002002, then 1979 went to JF3AS5, 1980 JF3AS5 (see why I think notes crossed?), then 1981 MY - JF3AU5 for the EA81 model, other earlier ones EA71 or smaller? Happy to be shot down for errors.

10 hours ago, moosens said:

Here on the east coast of the USA our 1979 was still the short VIN. 

Yeah, I think we were much the same - if a number was the 17 character length, we call them VIN's , other forms - body number (even if the had letters in them )

• Like 1

More than a couple times I’d run into a young DMV employee or such and they’d just be amazed and say things like “this isn’t right” or “I think you’re missing some numbers” , silly kids. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...