Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will 225 X 65 X 17 tire fit my 2008 Outback? This is little larger then stock. Figure a little taller side wall will make it ride better.

I was very active on this forum 15 to 20 years ago, then ran into medical problems that took me away from working on my own car, which at the time was a Subie 1999 Outback. Loved that old car.

Sold that old car to a friend, who keeps it running with nearly 300K on odo.

I haven't owned the Gen4, but had a Gen3 and have a Gen5; on both of those that much increase in diameter would have rubbed the underside of the spring perches (there was less than 1/2" clearance with stock diameter).  If a smaller-diameter wheel will clear the brake calipers, you may be able to run the higher profile on them.

Inquiry is to address rather harsh ride from my Outback. I figured going with a larger tire would increase side wall size, and therefore sidewall flex more for a softer ride. Guessing with my stock wheels, can only increase to 235 X 60 X 17. Does this sound correct?

On 8/24/2024 at 12:26 PM, Rooster2 said:

Inquiry is to address rather harsh ride from my Outback. I figured going with a larger tire would increase side wall size, and therefore sidewall flex more for a softer ride. Guessing with my stock wheels, can only increase to 235 X 60 X 17. Does this sound correct?

How are the struts? 05-09 Subaru legacy and Outback struts are really low grade for Subaru standards. I don’t know what their deal was then but they’re typically weak and degrade early. I’d install 00-04 OBW or baja turbo struts.

You could get 16” rims to get more sidewall.