Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions on 2005 Outback? Looking to buy

This 2005 has an automatic transmission. Mileage 140,000. Timing belt changed at 134,000 miles. The owner lived out of state and came up to Fairbanks, Alaska in the summer and drove it then. But hasn't used it hardly since about 2021. So the guy that has been keeping it for him is now selling it for him. Asking $4500. Problems: Struts are shot, rear hatch struts are shot. Right front bearing might be shot. Right front CV axle boot not attached anymore (not cracked). So we lifted the front right wheel off the ground and discovered the CV axle nut is Missing! So possibly just putting a nut on might fix it. I did give the seller an old used nut I had laying around and loaned him my 32mm socket.

He loaned me all the maintenance records he has (2019-2021). 

Just wondering what you all think of the 2005 Outback wagon? I'm tempted to offer $3500. I don't really need a car yet. The 1998 Forest is ugly as hell (331,000 miles) but still going strong with great KYB struts and new timing belt kit from last fall, new spark plugs and wires. And I still have a 1995 Legacy I'm getting ready to replace the bad leaking seal on the front of the engine. I'd sell it after I fix that if I get the 2005 Outback. 

Kelly Blue Book says $2098-$3535 for a vehicle in FAIR condition. For GOOD condition up to $3900.

I've been looking through the Mechanic's inspection notes from 2021 (about 135,000 miles) and he noted that the Head Gaskets were seeping and gave an estimate of $2500 to replace them.  Is 2005 one of those years where Head Gaskets were a major problem? I know my 1995 Legacy seeps too but I've heard that its not a problem. Should I avoid this car because of the seeping head gaskets?

On 9/4/2024 at 6:39 PM, Ravenwoods said:

Kelly Blue Book says $2098-$3535 for a vehicle in FAIR condition. For GOOD condition up to $3900.

I've been looking through the Mechanic's inspection notes from 2021 (about 135,000 miles) and he noted that the Head Gaskets were seeping and gave an estimate of $2500 to replace them.  Is 2005 one of those years where Head Gaskets were a major problem? I know my 1995 Legacy seeps too but I've heard that it’s not a problem. Should I avoid this car because of the seeping head gaskets?

05-09 headgaskets usually leak oil. You can drive jt indefinitely as long as you keep topping it off. It starts slowly and gets worse over a long period of time.  

That’s if it’s the original engine and gaskets. If the gaskets were already replaced then anything is a possibility.

Subarus coolant conditioner is for coolant leaks not oil leaks. 

If you don’t mind adding oil and leaking I wouldn’t avoid it. It would be nice to know how much it’s leaking but as with any used car that’s probably hard to accurately nail down before purchase. 

• Like 1

Congrats! - I'd read up on other sites about other gotchas for the '05-'09s. I know the rear (?) suspension bushings wear out, the headlight bulbs like to burn out quickly, but nothing that would likely strand you...of course, AK is a big state. Hopefully they changed all the idlers/pulleys and water pump w/the belt. If not, I'd add that to your list. That's still an interference engine.