Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Wagon

Mira

Hey! I've been eyeing up an older GL, and I honestly know way more about the 1st Gen legacy than I do the GLs or any others. Looks like she's got almost 205K on her, I'm just curious about problems with these. Or perks, I ran away from subaru through peer pressure with my 92. I'm really wanting to get another one! Anyways, let me know. 

I see you’re in WA

Personally I would skip the EA82 and stick with that good old 2.2 magic first gen Legacy. 

We used the Loyale series to the max in the day. I had many, N/A and at least one or two turbos. Not like I don’t know about them. Given the day we live in now my feeling is that the EA82 series cars days are numbered. 

I can find 70’s parts easier than 80’s 

You already know the 2.2 

If you romanticize historic then I’d go for the EA71 or EA81 and gather parts asap. 

If you want some extra practicality out of your vintage Subarus then the 2.2 first gen legacy is the almighty. 

That’s my two cents. 
Enjoy ! 

I didn’t take into consideration that you may just really want that body style. 85-94 loyale

Check the 2.2 swap posts in the archives and Not have to search for long periods of time for that drivers side EA82 timing belt. 

If you lean heavily towards the EA82 you’d do yourself a favor to check parts availability. Especially that left side timing belt.