Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tell me about Gen 3 OBW rear suspension

Bought a used 07 2.5 Basic a while back, has been ok since I have a short commute and its usually just me but had two adults in the back seat recently and yeah, need to do something. I believe I saw on here years ago that the gen 2 was a better setup and could be swapped in, is that correct? Just look up the OEM part numbers and order from Subaru? Any preferred aftermarket brands or any of the chain repair shops have a good option? Not really looking for different performance, just want quality and longevity.

Looks like it's a fairly easy job to DIY, just struts and springs? Or is there a full swap assembly worth buying? Any other parts to check or just replace when doing it? Appreciate any advice, tips, or recommendations. Thanks, this place is the best.

Gen 2 and Gen 3 Liberty/Outback platforms are completely different in the rear end. 

To swap in a Gen 2 rear suspension you’ll be welding some strut towers into the back of the Gen3 to accommodate the MacPherson style struts. Not worth it in my book. 

You’d be better off replacing all of your bushes in the suspension, front and rear. This will refresh the handling and a new set of springs and shocks will further complement the ride quality. Well worth the effort. 

All the best with it! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1