Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny mount questions on gen1 brat????

My tranny seams to move, kinda feels like it drops a little when shifting unless I shift very easily and slow like. It seams to have the tranny mount but are there bushings involved?? Maybe mine are worn out?? If so, does anyone have any, and is it easy to install them?????? Im a mechanic idiot so if this all sounds stupid its because Im not sure what Im talking and asking about. Thanks.....

It's not terrbily hard to install tranny mounts. You put the front end on jack-stands (as high as you can get), and then you need to put your jack under the tranny to releive the pressure on them. Drop the cross-member, and remove the mounts - the install the new ones. Personally - I just make my own from urethane. Cheaper and stronger than the originals. There are no "bushings " involved like a lot of mounts on other cars - just rubber and some bolts.

Linky:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=86715#post86715

GD

I just installed some on my '78 brat. I didn't remove the crossmember,was able to unbolt them in place. The hard one was the driverside, it had a sheet metal shield to deal with, and you have to feel the bolt into it's hole (left handed and backwards). I used a jack to take the wgt. off and that is all. I'm gonna post a separate thread, but I want to find out if ea81 and 71 motor mounts are the same. The tranny ones are. I can get them local for 30.00 ea.