Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I adjusted my clutch cable today and a HH Q

what a differnce it made, I thought my clutch was going (finaly :) ) but it was just the cable out of adjustment from streching (I replaced it about 6 months ago). I also adjusted my hill holder and it works, but it works on level/semi-level ground. Did I adjust it to much? (I say level/smei-level cause you can't really feel or hear it but when I'm at stop lights and take my foot of the brake pedal it doesn't start rolling back till I let the clutch out)

yes, the HH is too tight. find a hill to practice adjusting it on.

i've had two clutch cables fail, one was in the sheath, and one TWANGED at the pedal as the strands of the cable snapped one by one. that one lasted long enough to get to the dealership to get a new one!

YES! I'm sure the cable is routed correctly (me and skip went round and round about this when I went to replace it). And the HH doesn't drag, (I’ve got no more drag then I used to have) it just holds on pretty much level ground. So that’s too tight then? And I think it was mentioned in HTKYSA that you should re-adjust them after a couple hundred miles. Not too mention it feels just like it did when I installed it now.

The HH cable adjustment controls where in the clutch peddle travel the valve activates, I have mine adjusted so that it only catches at full peddle travel, well beyond clutch disengagement, this way I can choose when I want to use it. The angle required to activate that valve is adjusted by shimming the front or back of the HH valve mount, if yours is working on flat or near flat ground you should add a shim to the back or remove one from the front, the adjustment procedure is in the manual. Hope that helps.

Gary

The angle required to activate that valve is adjusted by shimming the front or back of the HH valve mount, if yours is working on flat or near flat ground you should add a shim to the back or remove one from the front, the adjustment procedure is in the manual.

Excellent tip. I never thought of that. My XT's HH works intermittently, and it's a brand-new valve. That very well could be the problem.