Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to buy a subaru!!!

hello

im new to this message board. and i dont own a subaru yet!

hoping that will change soon. i live in grand junction, colorado. I am looking to find a subaru within five hundred miles, or at least no east coast rust problems.

i am looking for a subaru wagon. i like the looks of the 83's 84's(not sure what models?). i like the hatchback two door models the best.

can you maybe suggest a online classified site or perhaps you could keep an eye out for one. im looking to spend about a 1000 on the car itself. should run for a in town occasional drive at first. i dont mind a later year model like 85,86. im not really into automatic transmissions either.

well let me know what you come up with i have been looking here and there like ebay and cars.com but im just not finding what im looking for.

thanks

Glad to hear of your interest in Subarus.

I have a few questions. What do you want to use the Subaru for?

Do you want to go off road a lot? Get a 4wd model. If you do get a 4wd model, get it in Dual Range.

You like luxuries like power steering, AC, and a tachrometer? Get a GL Model.

You stated you like that hatchbacks. So get a hatchback.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS.

I know it's a little farther than 500 miles, but I'll be selling my lifted 86 hatch in about a month or so. It doesnt' have any rust except couple small spots of surface rust. . . It would definitely make the trip to CO.

lets see some pictures? i have plenty of time and want to make the right choice for me.

Glad to hear of your interest in Subarus.

I have a few questions. What do you want to use the Subaru for?

Do you want to go off road a lot? Get a 4wd model. If you do get a 4wd model, get it in Dual Range.

You like luxuries like power steering, AC, and a tachrometer? Get a GL Model.

You stated you like that hatchbacks. So get a hatchback.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS.

i want 4wd. i dont need any whistle and bells just a running car. prefer it doesnt have power anything to many little things to keep up with cars like that. i know about the dual range. my roommate is a subaru owner not sure what year i think 86gl wagon.

so i guess i just really want a 83-86 gl wagon or hatchback 4wd. depending on whats available in the next few months. winters coming and i dont want to be in the cold. oh yeah the heat has to work too....

:)thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. have some good leads for colorado subarus now i just need to find what im looking for.

Here's some. http://www.westcoaststompers.com/ CLick "members rides" then Eric Zap.

But I am gonna keep my SuperSwampers and rollbar. Lift and Weber will be included with the car.

this is the car i want but you have it all built up already. so im willing to bet i cant afford it at this time. but what will you be asking for it? just in case im a lottery winner...:rolleyes:

how much does that roll bar cost seems like it took some doing to get it in there?

dont want to seem silly but whats {weber} tires???

what lift kit did you put on it???

wicked nice ride eric why are you selling it?

:banana:dance dance dance why wont he dance

david

although the car i'm about to tell you about doesn't fit in exactly with what you say you are looking for, you should think about this.

i know where there is a 1983 gl10 wagon with almost NO RUST. i saw some superficial rust but had to get on my hands and knees to find it. it has no engine or a bad engine. being a gl10 means it's fully loaded power everything a/c and has a sunroof.

i'm telling you this car is in just about the nicest shape i have ever seen. it was offered to me at $500 as is or $800 with a good used engine thrown in the back, you gotta put it in.

also i believe it was an auto (it's been a while) and may have been front wheel drive. converting a car with an 2wd auto over to four wheel drive proved fairly easy for me (time consuming, but problem free).

i also have an 83 wagon for parts and you could take all the 4wd goodies from it, no charge.

this may be more work than you want to take on, but it will be one hell of a car. you won't find a nicer ea81 wagon. i can offer help in fascilitating the deal.

i should add that the car is in boulder county about 4 hours from you

also i believe it was an auto (it's been a while) and may have been front wheel drive. converting a car with an 2wd auto over to four wheel drive proved fairly easy for me (time consuming, but problem free).

i also have an 83 wagon for parts and you could take all the 4wd goodies from it, no charge.

this may be more work than you want to take on, but it will be one hell of a car. you won't find a nicer ea81 wagon. i can offer help in fascilitating the deal.

i should add that the car is in boulder county about 4 hours from you

biggest problem with a car that doesnt run is how do i get it to grand junction cheaply?

second issue i have with this 2wd auto that may be front wheel drive? im looking for 4wd.

so are the specs the same from one wagon to the next. so you could change over to a 4wd manual just with a new tranny? or would you have to stay automatic? what about the transfer case in a 4wd?

i have alot of questions about what this would take to change over? looks like i should start a thread.

thanks alot for letting me know about this car i will stay in touch until then

:cool:

Hey Dustyrider, I'm not to far from you, right up I70, and always find killer deals on Soob's. I know of a few right now but it's too early in the wheelin/dealin stage to give more onfo. I'll let you know if something comes up thats too good to pass up. Also call the G.J.P.D. and ask about impound auctions, they usually do them in April and September and will run an ad in the Sentinel. I've grabed huge deals through these auctions.

Oh and welcome aboard! it's nice to see another western sloper! :headbang:

Hey Dustyrider, I'm not to far from you, right up I70, and always find killer deals on Soob's. I know of a few right now but it's too early in the wheelin/dealin stage to give more onfo. I'll let you know if something comes up thats too good to pass up. Also call the G.J.P.D. and ask about impound auctions, they usually do them in April and September and will run an ad in the Sentinel. I've grabed huge deals through these auctions.

Oh and welcome aboard! it's nice to see another western sloper! :headbang:

:clap::banana::clap:

yeah i thought about the impounds. i will check into that. sept is coming....

keep me up to date with your subaru exploits for sure. mean while what do you think about what the sucker king has on the fire.

peace and thanks alot keep on keeping on

oh by the way do you mountain bike by chance????

to do the four wheel drive conversion you could take the tranny (a manual), driveshaft, rear suspension plus some other goodies from my junkwagon and put them in the gl 10. converting to manual 4wd will work just fine, and since the wagon is an auto, you won't have to cut or bang like you might have to if it started out as a 2wd manual (the auto tranny is wider than the manual and the cars body accomodates that. search 4wd conversion cause some people have posted complete parts lists, all of which could come from the junkwagon.

as far as getting it home, either trailor it or you could put the engine in down here and drive it.

one benefit to doing all this is you would know the car inside and out when you're done. i would like to see this car go to a good home, cause it's so damn nice. i'll get pics for you if you want, and i'll check to see if it is indeed a 2wd auto. ea81 gl-10s are pretty rare by the way.

A GL10 with no rust would be killer, it just depends on how deep you want to go with drivetrain swaps and such.

I'll keep you posted on stuff in my area.

I do Mtn bike but I haven't been out alot this year, I've been spending more of my time on the river although the flow sucks this year! But man I love Loma! Except "More Fun" you can have that one!

I talked to a guy at 18road in the spring that had a late 80's wagon with a custom cut moon roof and all kinds of bike racks on it. Josh I think his name was. He was talking about Scorpion lifts and stuff, but I don't think he was a board member. You know him?

A GL10 with no rust would be killer, it just depends on how deep you want to go with drivetrain swaps and such.

I'll keep you posted on stuff in my area.

I do Mtn bike but I haven't been out alot this year, I've been spending more of my time on the river although the flow sucks this year! But man I love Loma! Except "More Fun" you can have that one!

I talked to a guy at 18road in the spring that had a late 80's wagon with a custom cut moon roof and all kinds of bike racks on it. Josh I think his name was. He was talking about Scorpion lifts and stuff, but I don't think he was a board member. You know him?

yeah you met me too his name was joel and i was david helped with the rag top install. he hasnt lifted it yet but i think he will soon. unless he find bigger wheels. keep me up to date on the subarus in your area for sure im still considering the gl10 drive train swap i still need more info first.

ok post more later

got to work now

david

Sucker King, lets hook up I PM'ed you

Hey Dave, thats rad it was you guys I talked to! heres an ad out of the Glenwood paper:

Subaru 1981 wagon, 4x4, 208k miles, runs wells, body fair, great off-road and in snow! $850/obo (970)876-0768 or 970-945-8515 x 516

this guy wants WAY too much but you could try and beat him up on the price. I'll go take a look at it if your interested.

Sucker King, lets hook up I PM'ed you

Hey Dave, thats rad it was you guys I talked to! heres an ad out of the Glenwood paper:

Subaru 1981 wagon, 4x4, 208k miles, runs wells, body fair, great off-road and in snow! $850/obo (970)876-0768 or 970-945-8515 x 516

this guy wants WAY too much but you could try and beat him up on the price. I'll go take a look at it if your interested.

hey hey that sounds like something interesting if you want to take some time and go grab a look see that would be most helpful. im sure if he wants that much it must be in good shape. i will call him and see i am still not sure wagon or hatchback. i am looking for this type though, a little round a little old. i will give em a call thanks alot and keep your eyes peeled.......

:cool:

david

to do the four wheel drive conversion you could take the tranny (a manual), driveshaft, rear suspension plus some other goodies from my junkwagon and put them in the gl 10. converting to manual 4wd will work just fine, and since the wagon is an auto, you won't have to cut or bang like you might have to if it started out as a 2wd manual (the auto tranny is wider than the manual and the cars body accomodates that. search 4wd conversion cause some people have posted complete parts lists, all of which could come from the junkwagon.

as far as getting it home, either trailor it or you could put the engine in down here and drive it.

one benefit to doing all this is you would know the car inside and out when you're done. i would like to see this car go to a good home, cause it's so damn nice. i'll get pics for you if you want, and i'll check to see if it is indeed a 2wd auto. ea81 gl-10s are pretty rare by the way.

interesting anyone out there done this??? should i start a new thread with this new info or just do some research? research first then questions later?

i would love if you could get some pictures. im wondering how would i get the parts i need from your car and then do this conversion? do you mean you want this to take place at your place? cause junction to the front range is a hard ride to make without a drive train:brow:

i dont know sucker king what to do this body sounds so good. i havent seen though.

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh? im a subaru junky and i dont own one yet!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah what do you think about this subaru that wasteland has in the glenwood paper??????????