Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Loyale

Alright i broke a axle a while ago and was going to fix it then i began to think, do any of you think that my 90 loyale is worth putting a lift on and off roading. i have found a set of 15 inch pugs that are alright 1 steely and 3 alloys 1 of them is different but i will work past that. and my dad has a really nice set of tires that went on his truck he said i could use. i was just wondering if i should bother to raise it and go off roading or if i should try and get a gl with a dual range. and was also wondering if i could try and put a dual range in. i might be getting a parts car soon so if its not to hard to put in a dual range i will try that, thanks for the help.

Vega

you can definitely put a dual range in. you need the console and all shift linkage, and the wiring will be a little different between them. if you can take the console and shift linkage out of each, then you'll know how to put it together right after the switch.

sure, if the transmission has it :D

you also need the wiring for the switch for the lock, and the vacuum solenoid for the lock. it's right next to the driver's side strut tower, it looks like two black plastic photo film containers with some green plastic nipples and some vacuum hoses.

if yours is already pushbutton 4wd then all the mechanism for the diff lock is there, the 4wd button will be your diff lock switch. mind you that you will need a tanny that has a diff lock, find yourself a dual range full time rx tranny. but if you use a full time tranny you will need the appropriate 25 spline axle off a full time or turbo 5spd

if not your best bet is the regular dual range, it has lower gearing better for off road and large tires.

dual range will bolt in, if yours is already 4wd then all you need is the trans and shifter, the existing flywheel, axles, clutch, driveshaft and diff will fit the same. the clutch cqable should also fit the same, the only differences i have seen are between 2wd and 4wd