Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my SUby is possesed

When my dad and i got the new clutch put in and the motor all tooked up we seemed to be in a good mood. the car ran just fine after some fine tweeking it ran better than it did before i fixed it all up. but it seems i was ahead of myself. along with the funny grinding noise that i have written about in another thread i have a new problem.

on my way to church thismorning the suby seemed to be fine but at the first stop sign the car died. it idled fine then poof just died. i baby it down the road and it seemd to hesitate like it was missing or something. then at the next stopsign i struggled to keep it idling. this reapeated itself on my whay home.

When i got home the car was having a hard time idling in the driveway. i pop the hood give the carb a lookover and i see nothing odd or strange. i get the revs up and squirt some seafoam down the carb...now its idling fine. i go for a dirve around the block come back in the driveway and it idles then the revs fall and it dies...:banghead:,

anyideas. the fuel filter is new. all the vacume lines are as they were when it was running fine. i did notice when it was idling bad the alternator needle was moving up and down a bit. but when i had the revs up the engine didn't seem to mis or hesitate...only when i was moving and acclerating. then it would die when i wanted it to idle.

it seems all i have come across is problems with it and im hoping i can get it running smooth before i leave for school

try spraying the poop out of the carb with some seafoam, and then rev it up to about 3,000 RPM and stuff a rag over the carb throat with the throttle still open, this will (hopefully) suck any gunk out of the carburetor.

also, have you checked your cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs???

This does sound like a carb problem, but it never hurts to check...

Sounds like it's time for a carb rebuild. You might have junk in the float bowl - the Hitachi's don't like that, as the jets act like a drain in the bottom of the bowl, and anythign in there will drain right into them.

At any rate, your description of messing with the carb and seafoam etc just strikes me as an indication that your problem is probably mostly carb related. If messing with the carb causes the symtoms to change, then it's time for a rebuild I would say.

GD

im gonna give that rag trick a try but the engine has 170k miles on it and i have never rebuit the carb and have no idea if the previous owner ever did...i will have to look into that before school starts

btw how much does a rebuild kit cost and or how much would a whole rebuilt carb cost.?

Stick a volt/ohm meter on the battery and check your alt. output voltage.

Mine was running like that and the needle was jumpy till it got up to around 3k rpm then it would run fine.

Was a bad alt.... weak spark with only 10 volts coming out.

Hush

Stick a volt/ohm meter on the battery and check your alt. output voltage.

Mine was running like that and the needle was jumpy till it got up to around 3k rpm then it would run fine.

Was a bad alt.... weak spark with only 10 volts coming out.

Hush

oh wow dude my car hesitates till a little after 3k then pulls just fine. i will check that in the morning.

but it was fine just a few days a go then now it runs like crap. i replaced both fuel filters and that seemd to do nothing. Im just thinking if its the alternator the car would not alow the stereo headlights and all that, when im driving the volt guage is at a normal spot only when it starts to idle then die it will jump around a bit.

i might need to rebuild the carb but im going to see what i can do before having to go that far.

I replaced the alternator today with one i had on an engine i pulled from an 82 DL. funning thing though is the pully was bigger on the DL so i had to swap it with my old pully. after i got it all back on it seems to be running alot better though i have only diriven it around the block.

But now when im driving the little VOLT guage goes way up to the red..up by 18, this happens when i rev it to 4k then shift. Is this normal because to me that seems like im going to blow something. this also was done with no electronics on. could this be a faulty voltage regulator.

I've seen this weird reaction with fuel that has moisture in it too. It wouldn't hurt for you to put some water displacement in your fuel. Check your new fuel filter very close and see if you can see water. This does sound more electrical than it does carb problem. keep posting til we find the problem.

boing

Well i went to work today and i decided to drive the suby and see if i can trouble shoot the problem. it worked great till about 8 miles down the road then i could barly get it off the road and into the nearest parking lot. i let it sit for a few minuts and then drove the rest of the way to work. on my way home it worked fine.

well the car ran fine last night and today on the way to work. but on the way back from work. About half way home the car could barly idle. i finaly got it on the higway but then turned off at the first exit and i could barly get it off to the sholder. i called for my dad to come tow me home but i finaly after 3 tries and about 10min got the car running and limped it home. its still hesitating but it got me home.

i really think its a carb problem now and i will be removing that pile of crap soon, today i hope.

i have never rebuilt a carb but i know i can do it...how hard is it anyway?:-\

Put it this way, I have rebuilt many a carb in my years as a mechanic, and the ONLY one's I've had to tear down more than once are the Subaru Hitachi's. They are complex, and have a lot of parts. It took 5 tries before I got my first Hitachi to run correctly to my satisfaction. Even still, I've done a couple more since then, and each time I've had to tweak them after installation (remove the top and blow out passages, etc). They are real sensitive to dirt.

The rebuild kits are cheap, and it CAN be done, but have a plan for backup transportation, as they are not simple little carbs.

GD

Put it this way, I have rebuilt many a carb in my years as a mechanic, and the ONLY one's I've had to tear down more than once are the Subaru Hitachi's. They are complex, and have a lot of parts. It took 5 tries before I got my first Hitachi to run correctly to my satisfaction. Even still, I've done a couple more since then, and each time I've had to tweak them after installation (remove the top and blow out passages, etc). They are real sensitive to dirt.

The rebuild kits are cheap, and it CAN be done, but have a plan for backup transportation, as they are not simple little carbs.

GD

well i finished the carb rebuild today. it was my very first carb rebuild ever and of all carbs it was this one. it went good my dad watched and helped a little. i got it put on just about 20 min ago and drove it around. it feels like a brand new car, soooooo much better than before. i will let you all know if i find any other little issues but so far so good.

Thanks for the Help, thats what makes Forums like this great.:banana: