Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What color should I paint my 78?

Well im working on some rust repair work now, you can see what it looks like here: http://community.webshots.com/album/166896604vSrMWC

The front bumper and brush gard i'm definatly painting black, along with the vent area under the front window. The side view mirrors, also black. I think im going to remove the roof rack... The big question is what to do with the rest of the car.

I just got two front doors from a white car in perfect condition (mine have serious rust issues) along with the front passanger side fender which is white as well. I just repaired and primered the front bumper/spoiler piece, and I kinda need to decide what to do before everything goes back in, including the engine (the engine bay needs work as well rust wise)

I cant decide what to do about the whole car... I want rally blue, but I cant afford a REAL paint job right now. I could also just leave everything FUGLY for awhile, but since my other car went up in flames im going to have to get this repaired ASAP and drive it to work for awhile...

I saw the SCC article about the STI they painted flat black (absolutly horrible thing to do to a new car, but for an old car...) and it gave me ideas. Maybe just paint it flat black? But it seems harder to clean... Maybe just paint it white, or grey? But those seem rather plain...

I also think I want to paint the headlight backing plates some interesting color... Red, maybe yellow? I dont know, I was just going to do black (they are all rusted up and need SOME sort of color...) but something like red behind the lights/grill with a flat black paint scheme would look rather interesting...

I do plan on putting some scoob stickers on it later, since this will be my official "Rally support vehicle" (well not really, but you get the idea...)

Ideas? Photochops?

a flat black would be very interesting on that old of a car... dual white racing stripes on top of that would look nice, i think. theres a sparkly blue color that my friend has on his jeep that would make the car look real spiffy, but its probably pricy as well. if you wanna check it out, his site is http://jpfreak.com/pics.htm . email him and he can tell you what specific color it is. looks nice on his jeep, anyway.

if cheap is the most common word in your vocabulary as it is mine, i recommend the black. i personally like the look of dirt on black. make it show that you actually use the car for more than driving on sissy paved roads. if you use spray paint and you get a ding in the paint, you just wash that area well, get the same kind of paint can, and apply it whenever you need it. voila, no more scratch. im spray painting the bottom half of my car black so it matches w/ the tires and the limo tint.

• 3 weeks later...

Any other opinions before I start to paint the engine bay? Im just going to do some primer then paint it the same beige... I might change my mind about the outside of the car, but right now im limited on having to paint only SOME of the engine bay so I figure it should be the same color in there...

I also took off the chrome accents along the sideskirt area of the car, and I think ill paint some of that black rubber bumper protective paint I used on the bumper on there, might give it a neat look as well as be functional...