Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aarrrgh - Spongy Brakes!

So a few days ago I was almost owned by this bastard in an SUV making a left turn after his green arrow turned red *grrr* I seriously came within milimeters of hitting him as he crossed in front of me - I heard and felt a light thud but that was probably my car stalling out from my failure to slam on the clutch along with the brakes :rolleyes: - anyway, I was spooked and my brakes have been somewhat mushy so I decided to do something about it.

I buy a one person brake bleeding device - it's a rubber tube connecting to this little plastic bottle that you stick above the caliper so that it's impossible for air to get into the system - and 2 bottles of DOT 4 fluid.

I took extreme care when flushing my old fluid - I am certain that there is no air in there. Yet, When I started the car, brakes are still mushy :banghead:

Am I expecting too much? My old XT6 had a nice hard pedal... but maybe something else needs to be worked on... besides air in the lines, what else could cause a mushy pedal?

My XT Turbo has XT6 calipers and rotors, but I am not sure about the master cylinder, brake lines, and all the other brake hardware. Did the XT6's and Turbo share this hardware?

The mushy pedal annoys me enough that I'm inclined to replace the entire brake system....

you might need to bleed the master cylinder depending on how low your system was. you might need new brake pads as well. and you are supposed to bleed subaru brakes in a pattern of (i think) right rear, left front, left rear, right front.. instead of progressively closer to the master cylinder. many people including myself have had spongy brakes after bleeding them in the "wrong" order. good luck.

you might need to bleed the master cylinder depending on how low your system was. you might need new brake pads as well. and you are supposed to bleed subaru brakes in a pattern of (i think) right rear, left front, left rear, right front.. instead of progressively closer to the master cylinder. many people including myself have had spongy brakes after bleeding them in the "wrong" order. good luck.

Wow.

After checking the FSM, I bled in entirely the wrong order! I guess I'll be doing it again... :banghead: