Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would like help

hello everyone !

I'm hoping that someone could help me. I was givin 2 subaru's, an 88 gl fuel inj. and a 85 carb. both have 1800's in them I was driving the 88 till the engine quit, so I tried the 85, but it was having major carb trouble. I found alot of gas mixed in the oil, so I decided to try the 85 in the 88 car with the fuel inj. After the switch the engine started right up. It ran about a minute and started to smoke oil smoke alot. It will start immediatly, and it runs strong, but after a minute just starts to smoke alittle, and slowly gets to fog up the whole area. The engine has not run for a year, and didn't smoke the last time it ran. I put oil in each cylider and turned the engine by hand before startin it. There is a ticking sound on one side of the engine.

After a few days of running the car a little at time it's not ticking anymore. It stopped burning oil clouds, but it still smokes alot and water is coming out the exhaust pipe, which I'm guessing it was doing all along, but didn't notice becuase of the oil smell, and smoke. I checked the compression, and it was 125 in all cyinders. It runs great, starts fast, but after it runs to operating temp it will smoke so much I could hide the empir state building in about 2 minutes. Anyone have any ideas what I should check?

Check the PCV valve, if it is bad it will make it burn oil and it's like a $2 part. So you put the fuel injected motor in the 85, did you swap the fuel injection, or did you put the carb stuff on the fuel injected motor? If that is what you did, did you use sealant on the manifold gaskets, and the carb gasket (if you took the carb off) because if you didnt' seal it properly it will suck water and make it smoke. The fact you have decent compression in all four cylinders, and it's teh SAME in all four cylinders, leads me to beleive it's not a head gasket.

I replaced the pcv after reading a thread from this site, but still smokes. Just to get this correct, I put the 85 carb engine in the 88 fuel inj car and put the fuel inj on the carb engine. when putting the intake on it said not to use casket sealant, you think maybe that the intake manifold could be leaking?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest taprackready
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the dealer for the gaskets. I never heard of gaskachinch. Is it like that blue rubbery make a gasket stuff?

No, Gaskachinch is not like the BLUE RUBBERY STUFF. Intake gaskets should be put on dry or use an adhesive which makes the gasket stick to the intake so while your putting it on it won't slip and slide around.

I've only removed and replaced 2 EA81 intakes and both times I used the least expensive paper intake gasket I could find. Have not have any leaks. Make sure to use anti-seize on the intake bolts and torque them to spec.

Bill